Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #1

Question Rear speakers?

Alright, I just bought the back storage box for my boxster because I wanted to get some speakers in behind my head. The box cost me $200, and it looks like the kits are like $250+

So my question is has anyone put in any other speakers than the PNP or the OEM kit? Has anyone put in just some 4x6s?

Thanks,
JBG

:dance:

JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:21 AM   #2

I just installed the PNP speakers in my '99. I added some stuffing material in the cavities behind the speaker elements. The results in my car are very good. The system without the rears sounded weak and cheap. With the PNP's and some front to rear and bass adjustment the sound is totally new. On a scale of 1 to 10, it went from a 3 to a 9.
Rich

Forgot to say that I changed from the 4X40 boxster amp to the 996 6X40.
Sorry

Last edited by savinor; 08-09-2004 at 10:34 AM.
savinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:57 AM   #3

I did, I added mb quart 4x6's sounds great, in a hurry but search for my name in the search field and find the thread that explains my stereo set up.
jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #4

Jaygo,

You got any pictures? I'd like to see how they fit in the cabinet. It would seem to me that the hard part is to get the speakers in the enclosure and keep them in there and fastened down.

Thanks,

JBG
Old 08-09-2004, 06:59 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Just out of curiousity, where did you pick up the speaker box from? Also, is it possible to get the door enclosures aftermarket? I've got only the base stereo, and would like to add the 6.5 MB Quarts I've got into the doors, and explore possibilities of a rear speaker set up to finish it up...

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:14 AM   #6

Sorry I have no pics, although, to fit the speakers in the rear storage, I had to remove the cover that fits in the speaker hole, I then wedged the speakers in a slight angle and siliconed them in place. You have to play with the fit, but they will fit.
jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:01 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
I have a question -- i have the bose system, with the rear speakers, but i can BARELY hear them. like i only notice them if the fader is all the way back, and even then i have to pretty much crank the volume to hear em. is this how everyone's are? or should i be able to hear them pretty clearly?
Old 10-10-2004, 02:58 PM   #8

In an earlier post, I commented that I got a storage box off ebay for cheap and found some PNP speakers on ebay from a guy in Greece... the same guy who makes all the batwing logos out of pure silver.

Anyway, I got those pesky cubby enclosures out without breaking the front plastic off the box, got the PNP speakers installed, grills hot glued in place, and installed the unit today.

Amazing! The sound fills the cabin and makes the car seem completely new to me. It was surely what was lacking.

That and my new-to-me gear shift out of a 2002 and my 1997 is looking and sounding very nice indeed!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:24 PM   #9

I am thinking of making a custom stereo box for my Boxster. I am going to model it after the Bose unit. I think the oem boxes are extreamly expensive. Think anybody would be interested in buyin one if I made a couple? Any recomendations for speakers?
claudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:45 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Hmmm...I am interested to see what you come up with in terms of a "custom" enclosure. I might be willing to barter and see what we can come up with in terms of pricing and whatnot.

Any pictures?

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #11

I'll make one and post some pictures. Maybe I can start my own Boxster speaker box business!!!!!
claudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Truss
I have a question -- i have the bose system, with the rear speakers, but i can BARELY hear them. like i only notice them if the fader is all the way back, and even then i have to pretty much crank the volume to hear em. is this how everyone's are? or should i be able to hear them pretty clearly?
Sounds wrong- I didn't buy the Bose because I couldn't AVOID hearing them. Seemed like a huge amount of volume in the 50-90HZ range that I couldn't quiet down to my normal fader settings. If you have a Bose it is probably still under warrantee, I'd take it to the dealer.

P.S. I only tested the Bose in the showroom in parked cars, and didn't choose them because of personal listening tastes - no need for anyone to correct me about the base response - butif I am misleading Richard about volumne, please chime in.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Truss

Did you ever find out what the problem was with this. I have a 2005 S and I
am having the exact same problem.
JohnMcCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:42 AM   #14

I have the same problem as Richard Truss. Can barely hear the rear speakers. So far the entire Bose system has been a waste of money. 2007 Boxster S.

Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote