Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #1

Steering problems after 2-3 hours drive...

Hi'

I usually do not drive my car very far. Its my daily driver but, on a daily basis that is only 1 hour of driving.

However I have noticed if I drive the car for 3-4 hours I can feel the steering is becoming more rough. It's not getting more hard to turn the wheel but it is the exact feeling like there is a bit of sand in the steering wheel mechanism, it's a bit crunchy.

If the car cools down the problem is gone the next day.

I had the power-steering fluid checked, but the car was not 1000% cold at the time so maybe they didn't check it properly !?

Has anyone experienced this with their car or possible suggestions for the reason of this problem?

I am suspecting perhaps the power-steering motor is worn out, but it just seems weird this only happens when the car has been running for many hours.

Thanks in advance !!

williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsF1
Hi'

I usually do not drive my car very far. Its my daily driver but, on a daily basis that is only 1 hour of driving.

However I have noticed if I drive the car for 3-4 hours I can feel the steering is becoming more rough. It's not getting more hard to turn the wheel but it is the exact feeling like there is a bit of sand in the steering wheel mechanism, it's a bit crunchy.

If the car cools down the problem is gone the next day.

I had the power-steering fluid checked, but the car was not 1000% cold at the time so maybe they didn't check it properly !?

Has anyone experienced this with their car or possible suggestions for the reason of this problem?

I am suspecting perhaps the power-steering motor is worn out, but it just seems weird this only happens when the car has been running for many hours.

Thanks in advance !!
Change your fluid. It's become degraded.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice - it seems logical you are right... Just weird I had a FULL service recently, I checked the invoice and they actually haven't changed the steering oil.

I will get this done very soon...

williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote