Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #1

Smile replace boxster new top / plastic window

hi, everyone know where can i find shop to replace my boxster S plastic window in San Francisco / Bay Area California? and how much will charge? tks!

langood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #2

The thing I've always wondered is the factory window gets folded in half when it closes right?

What would happen to a glass window in the same top? Alot of aftermarket tops offer a glass window for the boxster, how does this work if it cant fold in half?
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam
The thing I've always wondered is the factory window gets folded in half when it closes right?

What would happen to a glass window in the same top? Alot of aftermarket tops offer a glass window for the boxster, how does this work if it cant fold in half?

Yes the window will fold a half. But my plactic window has hole that need to place new plastic, i wonder that where or any shop will do replacement, and how much will be!! Tks
Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #4

the tops with the glass windows are much smaller in height than the plastic window so vision will be smaller... the smaller height allows the top to fold normally... i checked on cost of rear window replacement in san francisco and its like $400 dollars to do it because they have to remove and reput the old top back on.. i suggest just buying a top of ebay for $325 and removing and replacing your top by yourself.... its not that bad but a lot of work...
waynes986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes986
the tops with the glass windows are much smaller in height than the plastic window so vision will be smaller... the smaller height allows the top to fold normally... i checked on cost of rear window replacement in san francisco and its like $400 dollars to do it because they have to remove and reput the old top back on.. i suggest just buying a top of ebay for $325 and removing and replacing your top by yourself.... its not that bad but a lot of work...

waynes, Have you done it before? do you have any recomandetion which shop can do?

or if i install myself, is it hard? you have intruction you can send it to me? TKS
Old 08-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #6

The plastic window can be replaced, but it does require removing the top and then reinstalling it. $400 isn't such a bad deal.

However, one can find replacement tops for around $500 with a plastic window. Around $700 for the glass window top (with the defrost wiring harness).

The drawback to the glass window tops is that the glass is shorter so it can accommodate the folding in the pre-03 Boxster.

Unless your top is in really good shape otherwise, I'd consider getting a new top. I'm going to have to do that sometime in the next few months.

(the tops I mention can be had from topsonline.com)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by langood
waynes, Have you done it before? do you have any recomandetion which shop can do?

or if i install myself, is it hard? you have intruction you can send it to me? TKS

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

That is a DIY for replacing the top. If you get a top from Topsonline, they will be Robbins tops, which are reputed to include good directions. From what I've heard from a few guys that have replaced their tops themselves, it's not super difficult, but takes about a whole day.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
The plastic window can be replaced, but it does require removing the top and then reinstalling it. $400 isn't such a bad deal.

However, one can find replacement tops for around $500 with a plastic window. Around $700 for the glass window top (with the defrost wiring harness).

The drawback to the glass window tops is that the glass is shorter so it can accommodate the folding in the pre-03 Boxster.

Unless your top is in really good shape otherwise, I'd consider getting a new top. I'm going to have to do that sometime in the next few months.

(the tops I mention can be had from topsonline.com)

FrayAdjacent, do you have any recomand shop in Bay Area California?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by langood
FrayAdjacent, do you have any recomand shop in Bay Area California?

Nope, I live in Texas (thank God!). I'd recommend checking with Robbins:

www.robbinsautotopco.com for their recommended installers.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #10

Call GAHH they are sponsers of this forum. They have a list of installers. I install their tops in Chatham NJ. I charge $ 525.00 to replace green tinted plastic window.

Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote