Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #1

Another Problem (starts then dies with in seconds

I , try to start my car today after driving it alittle bit and it stalled. So I turn it off then back on it fires up and then dies with in two seconds of starting. What could it be ? While parked it died but I shut it off then turned right back on and drove for a couple of blocks with no problem. What are the chances that it is the battery since it's been really hot and the alarm for the last couple of weeks as been going off randomly. Please an input would be great. Like in the upper 90's

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I had the same stalling issues and it turned out to be my MAF, weird thing was that it wasnt triggering a CEL.

Sorry, my symptoms were not similar to your when it comes to alarm randomly going off... Could be that some punk kid is triggering it or some electrical issue

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #3

if you're getting it started, it's not the battery as once it starts the alternator takes over. Could be alternator, but doubtful.

Are you getting a CEL? If so, just go to Autozone and get the codes pulled for free and post them here. W/out CEL, it could be a # of things - MAF being one of them (sometimes triggers and sometimes doesn't trigger CEL).

To see if it is the MAF, disconnect the MAF plug (do not remove MAF) and then the neg terminal on battery for 50 seconds (longer ok if you have radio code if needed). Then reconnect battery and start. If it starts/runs fine/better, it's probably MAF ($150-200 and a super easy DIY - 2 security torx screws).

O2 sensors, I believe, would trigger CEL so if no CEL these are probably OK too.

Coil packs could be bad which would cause rough/no running. Has there been much rain recently?

Alarm issue is probably unrelated but is it wet under drivers seat? Maybe micro-switch in door or motion sensor going bad. Any other strange issues like radio won't shut off, problems w/ lights - if so, could be bad ignition switch but don't think this is related to the engine problems you are having.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #4

no cell light either on mine as well easy fix the Maf? Where did you get MAf also any chance since it is a hot day it could be the battery...... I am going to check the voltage of the battery. Can you direct me to DIY for the MaF .
Old 08-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
easy fix the Maf? ... Can you direct me to DIY for the MaF .
Here's a link to Mike Focke's Boxster page w/ info on checking and cleaning MAF (about 1/4 the way down)

Good luck!

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/checkenginelightcausedbymassairflowsensor
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #6

ok after letting it seat for a while I started it up and it ran for about 20 mins no problems long enough for me to drive it to get the codes read. It seems it gave . So here is the end of the story it cool down and started with out a problem . The codes I was referring to are (P0102)- Mass or Volume air flow A circuit low amp and (P1691) Manuf. controlled computer output circuit . I think by letting the MAF cool down for some reason it allowed for it to start with no problem. Like I said though one was ordered for 200 on EBAY and will be replaced sometime next week. Thanks for the help

Last edited by clb0099; 08-02-2007 at 03:17 PM.