Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #1

Help! Good deal or not?

Hi all,

My local dealer has a 2006 Boxster with 80 miles on it with a price tag of $44K. The original sticker is $55K

It's a base Boxster, 5 speed with 19" wheels, Bose, HIDs, and a few other options. They are advertising it as new, but I think it might have been a demo car. Even so, 80 miles doesn't seem like much to worry about.

Is $44K a fair price for the car?

Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #2

Thumbs down

I think you can get that deal on an '07 right about now -- that car will be two years old even if it has never been titled -- I just took delivery of an '08 boxster. Also, I believe the warranty clock has already been started on that vehicle -- make sure you ask.
mkgonza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgonza2
I think you can get that deal on an '07 right about now -- that car will be two years old even if it has never been titled -- I just took delivery of an '08 boxster. Also, I believe the warranty clock has already been started on that vehicle -- make sure you ask.
Thanks for the reply. I'm just starting to look for my perfect Boxster, and this one has everything I wanted, including the 19" Carrerra II wheels.

So $11K off an '07 is doable? What would you consider a fair price for the '06 that I mentioned?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #4

I think if you're not in a hurry..I would look for Boxster S and then upgrade the wheels down the road IMHO
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #5

I think that price is only "OK". But it's probably just a starting point for dealer negotiations. I'd agree with Unkle in that you could get an 05-06 S for not too far off 44K. I'd disagree with him on the rim upgrades. Buying any of the OEM 9X7 19" rims after point of sale is an expensive proposition, also factoring in the likely prospect of simultaneously purchasing costly tires in a matching size. In fact, one of the reasons I switched out my 05 base for an 06 S was I could no longer look at the lobster-boy-hideous 17" standard rims.

Keep in mind that bi-xenons and bose were both in the preferred package back in 05, so I would not consider a used 05 car without that combination as it's really just "baseline". Place more of an appraisal value on stuff that was actually expensive add-on like PCM, 19" rims, painted roll bars and center console, sport/adaptive seating, full-leather, Sports Chrono or PASM.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #6

So do you guys think this particular vehicle is considered new or used? Is Porsche different than most brands in that if the vehicle was never registered, it can be sold as new even with some miles on it?

Also, how could they start the clock on the warranty if the vehicle is being sold as new? What am I missing here?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
In fact, one of the reasons I switched out my 05 base for an 06 S was I could no longer look at the lobster-boy-hideous 17" standard rims.
id take an 06 S over 05 base, but i cant see this as a real reason....wheels and tires are not that expensive man, compared to loss of money on one car, loss of money on that car to get it registered when you bought it, and then register the new car, and as soon as you drive it off you loose money.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #8

Don't know where you are in NY but if you intend to drive this car year round I would reconsider 19" wheels. Those are brutal on the crappy roads in this part of the world and your tire choices are slim and expensive.
Also, the warranty is only four years so losing two years of it after only six months means they need to cut the price substantially. Look to having the car Certified Pre Owned if the dealer offers it and extend the warranty period. Maybe work that into the deal. The guy you sell your car will be attracted to the coverage.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Steven
So do you guys think this particular vehicle is considered new or used? Is Porsche different than most brands in that if the vehicle was never registered, it can be sold as new even with some miles on it?

Also, how could they start the clock on the warranty if the vehicle is being sold as new? What am I missing here?
That's not a used vehicle if it's never been titled. All Porsches have some miles on them. I read somwere every Porsche that leaves the factory is taken for a test drive by the facility to ensure everything is in working order. Plus, it could be taken for a test drive or two at the dealership. People do test drive these cars. The warrany should start from the date of purchase.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
bmussatti

If the car has everything you want (options, colors and etc.) I say it is a really good deal. That is a 20% discount.

I don't think you can get a 20% discount on a 2007...S or base. Most would consider a 15% a very good deal.

Can you get a better price than $44K??? That depends on your negotiating skills and current market conditions for Porsches and Boxsters in your area.

For an MSRP of $55K that must be a highly optioned Base. I would recommend getting a lesser optioned S for the near same money.

Good luck...and good negotiating.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #11

id take an 06 S over 05 base, but i cant see this as a real reason....wheels and tires are not that expensive man, compared to loss of money on one car, loss of money on that car to get it registered when you bought it, and then register the new car, and as soon as you drive it off you loose money.

As I stated I was referring to any of the 19" 9X7 OEM rims. Even not "new" takeoffs are generally north of 3K for the rims. PS2s or similar run 3-400 apiece. Sure one could add aftermarket crap-rims and fit Kumhos or the crap tire du jour on the car (not referring to anyone in particular or their car )but that wasn't the scenario described.

I don't know, I consider 4-5K for a rim upgrade to be expensive, which is why I bundled the desire to upgrade rims in with the car switch. Perhaps I just don't have the vast resources that you do.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Hi all,

My local dealer has a 2006 Boxster with 80 miles on it with a price tag of $44K. The original sticker is $55K

It's a base Boxster, 5 speed with 19" wheels, Bose, HIDs, and a few other options. They are advertising it as new, but I think it might have been a demo car. Even so, 80 miles doesn't seem like much to worry about.

Is $44K a fair price for the car?
I second the comment by Perfectlap about wheel size. If you are in NYC, as I am, I suggest you not go larger than 18s. NYC area roads? On 19 in. wheels?? On a convertible??? ouch, can you say crashing, bashing, and torsional flexing...I guess tolerance for that stuff can vary, but I find my 17s give a modicum of comfort, plenty of grip, and I actually like the way they look, especially at the rear - they are slightly different from the front. The base car, especially the 06 which doesn't benefit from Variocam Plus, isn't blessed with a superabundance of torque, which was another reason for me to go with the standard size. As for the price, I agree, it's probably just OK. I'm in your area and I factory-ordered my 07 - it listed for just over 50K, and I paid 46 before tax.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #13

Quote:

I talked to this dealer (Richie) in April and offered him $44.2k for the car and they were insulted. It is still on the MSO, so it's new, but the warranty clock started running in spring 2006 - I think there are 33 months left on the warranty. The story is that it was supposed to be a loaner, the warranty was registered with Porsche, but that the dealership decided that 5 speeds shouldn't be loaners. So it sat, and the warranty clock was running, but they supposedly forgot about that. The story continues that they noticed the warranty had been registered and in early 2007 contacted Porsche to reset the warranty clock - Porsche said " forget about it". So far it has lost between 12 and 15 months of warranty. I ended up buying a 2007 for $5k off sticker (different dealer) and couldn't be happier. Got a set of 18" Carrera S take-offs for a good price and I have that same car with more useful wheels that look exactly the same.
JackTs2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Don't know where you are in NY but if you intend to drive this car year round I would reconsider 19" wheels. Those are brutal on the crappy roads in this part of the world and your tire choices are slim and expensive.
Also, the warranty is only four years so losing two years of it after only six months means they need to cut the price substantially. Look to having the car Certified Pre Owned if the dealer offers it and extend the warranty period. Maybe work that into the deal. The guy you sell your car will be attracted to the coverage.
I'm just north of the city in the suburbs. I have no intentions on driving the car all year. I'll probably drive it to work once or twice a week in spring/summer/fall and on the weekends. I don't plan on driving it in the winter at all. I also plan on keeping it forever (hopefully) and have it as a classic in mint condition when I'm an old man! LOL.

Will the 19" wheels make it ride that brutally hard on anything but perfectly smooth roads? My last car was an E36 M3 which had a pretty stiff suspension, but nothing that really bothered me. How would the Boxster with 19s compare?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTs2K
I talked to this dealer (Richie) in April and offered him $44.2k for the car and they were insulted. It is still on the MSO, so it's new, but the warranty clock started running in spring 2006 - I think there are 33 months left on the warranty. The story is that it was supposed to be a loaner, the warranty was registered with Porsche, but that the dealership decided that 5 speeds shouldn't be loaners. So it sat, and the warranty clock was running, but they supposedly forgot about that. The story continues that they noticed the warranty had been registered and in early 2007 contacted Porsche to reset the warranty clock - Porsche said " forget about it". So far it has lost between 12 and 15 months of warranty. I ended up buying a 2007 for $5k off sticker (different dealer) and couldn't be happier. Got a set of 18" Carrera S take-offs for a good price and I have that same car with more useful wheels that look exactly the same.
Are you sure it's the same car? The Porsche dealer in Manhattan--a black base model sitting in the showroom? If so, they are asking $44K for it now, so maybe they shouldn't have been so insulted back in April.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Are you sure it's the same car? The Porsche dealer in Manhattan--a black base model sitting in the showroom? If so, they are asking $44K for it now, so maybe they shouldn't have been so insulted back in April.
Yes I'm sure - Manhattan Motors on 11th Ave between 27th and 28th. Black with standard black interior, 19" wheels, 82 miles, $55k sticker. They've had it on eBay for the past six months, and until about 30 days ago were looking for about $46k.
JackTs2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm just north of the city in the suburbs. I have no intentions on driving the car all year. I'll probably drive it to work once or twice a week in spring/summer/fall and on the weekends. I don't plan on driving it in the winter at all. I also plan on keeping it forever (hopefully) and have it as a classic in mint condition when I'm an old man! LOL.

Will the 19" wheels make it ride that brutally hard on anything but perfectly smooth roads? My last car was an E36 M3 which had a pretty stiff suspension, but nothing that really bothered me. How would the Boxster with 19s compare?
I probably drive my Boxster even less than you plan to normally since I don't drive to work. When I drive it, I am very frequently in Westchester (I keep it there) and I feel there is no shortage of terrible roads there...but as I said, I recognize alot of this is tolerance dependent, so you may differ. But huge wheels on a convertible, bad roads and very little tire sidewall, well, all that impact energy is going to be transferred somewhere if it isn't being absorbed by tires or a compliant suspension - namely the body of the car, as well as the occupant. Was your M3 a coupe or a convertible? Anyway, good luck. If you decide you want that car, you could always ask them to put 17s or 18s on it and save yourself some $$, too. Probably about the only place I will miss the 18s will be on the Tail of the Dragon, but I suspect it's going to be a lot of fun in the Box even on 'puny' 17s, based on prior experience
Old 08-03-2007, 03:40 AM   #18
bmussatti

Quote:

I have 19's...and find the ride just fine...then again I drive an SUV about 30,000 miles per year too...so I am not used to a smooth ride.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:42 AM   #19
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Y
I probably drive my Boxster even less than you plan to normally since I don't drive to work. When I drive it, I am very frequently in Westchester (I keep it there) and I feel there is no shortage of terrible roads there...but as I said, I recognize alot of this is tolerance dependent, so you may differ. But huge wheels on a convertible, bad roads and very little tire sidewall, well, all that impact energy is going to be transferred somewhere if it isn't being absorbed by tires or a compliant suspension - namely the body of the car, as well as the occupant. Was your M3 a coupe or a convertible? Anyway, good luck. If you decide you want that car, you could always ask them to put 17s or 18s on it and save yourself some $$, too. Probably about the only place I will miss the 18s will be on the Tail of the Dragon, but I suspect it's going to be a lot of fun in the Box even on 'puny' 17s, based on prior experience

John, the Dragon ROCKS! I am still going through withdrawl from the 6 runs I made in early May. I need another fix!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
John, the Dragon ROCKS! I am still going through withdrawl from the 6 runs I made in early May. I need another fix!
yeah, I did 3 a couple of years ago in my TT - awesome.