Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #1

Low mileage 99'

hi,

i'm a newbie to this forum and done a bit of lurking/searching but thought i would get some opinions.

i currently own a 98 Z3 with the 2.8L and am quite happy with it, please keep your bashing to a minimum.

one of my clients owns a 99' Boxster with 12,000 original miles, he has owned since new, and has asked if i would like to buy it. definitely a garage queen and knowing him i would be surprised if it ever got driven hard. i'm sure i can get it at
a very good price...he has lots of $$$. i can't own both so would have to part with the z3.

Questions
- these blown engine issues...is there any stats as to how many? - this is my main concern
- are there any tests i can do to check..compression, leakdown...is it really worth it for the number of miles?
- for those who have driven both the z3 (m or non m) and the boxster - can you give me your opinion as to what i'll be gaining or losing....from my preliminary research i'm sure the boxster will handle better, but what about the other things
- i undderstand 99' comes with the 2.5L vs the 2.7 in 2000 - what were the other changes from 98 to 99 and 00 vs 99.
- what should i know when it comes to maintenance i.e. cost of regular wear items, big ticket items etc.

personally i'm a little partial to the looks of my z3, but i've always like the looks of the boxster.

thanks

seabird is offline   Reply With Quote