Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #1

Installed a remoteKEY module

Okay, so I've installed a remoteKEY in my 987S. This is the convenience module offered by mods4cars that were mentioned in this thread. Check out the website for details--it kills a lot of the little annoyances that Porsche should have taken care of itself.

There is a group buy going on over at cayman club, valid through August 1st. I think it was 15% off. Still was about $275 after tax and shipping so you'd probably have to be really annoyed to order one.

I received it two days after I ordered it. Installation took less than thirty minutes.

To save yourself ten minutes though, make sure that when you're prying the blue lock tab off the connector, that you cover the connector with your hand so that the blue part doesn't go flying and end up someplace hidden. Trust me.

The instructions are straightforward, although it's missing a few key items--such as when they want you to plug everything in. It's pretty obvious though. After you've intercepted the two lines on the harness you can put the male connector back together. After you've tapped and connected power and ground, go ahead and plug the male connector back into the harness, then plug the remoteKEY unit into its connector.

I'd say that anyone with a keen eye that is able to follow instructions should be able to install this. If you read through the instructions and get nervous though, of course you can always take it to a stereo shop or whatever and they'll do it for you--and shouldn't be able to charge you a whole lot for it either, as it's about as simple as this kind of work gets. I may be underestimating the difficulty level though--I've messed around with car electronics an awful lot in the past.

It works well! A few observations:

- The horn chirp isn't the full horn blast--it fires only the higher-tone horn just like the car does normally when you leave a door open and lock the doors with the remote. Perfect!

- The reverse mirror adjustment is a little fiddly, but once you get it set it works well. One thing to know is that it activates when you put the car in reverse, but it doesn't set the mirror back to its normal position until after maybe...ten or twenty seconds. It seems to do that automatically, rather than go back when you take the car back out of reverse.

- The one-touch top up/down feature works great, but its shows signs of being a hacked implementation. If you press the button and release it quickly, you'll sometimes get the "Cab top not in fully closed/open position" message, along with the associated beep, briefly but then things will proceed as normal. I don't mind--just make sure you hold the button down long enough to where the side windows roll down a bit and you can let go.

That's all for now--haven't driven the car yet, but I'm pretty stoked to have all of these annoyances taken care of!