Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 02:41 PM   #21

MA requires front plates if you have new ones. I have my original plate from when I first registered my old '62 Rambler still, they don't require fronts with the old "green number" plates. You can barely read the plate now due to all the fading, but I've never had a problem re: that.

Sadly, I wanted a vanity plate for the Boxster and that meant a new one... so I'm stuck with a front plate.

The other thing that bugs me about this is they charge extra for the vanity plate, not only at the ordering stage, but every year at renewal. It doesn't cost any more now for the "unique" characters to be printed on my registration form, etc. but the state will take their fees any way they can. :ah:

Old 04-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #22

." but the state will take their fees any way they can. "

Yes, they will. You think they work for us but it is really the other way around!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #23

I live in va. we are supposed to have front plates too. I have had my 986 for 4 year and have never once put it on. Never will put it on. Go ahead and give me the ticket.... I will not destroy a $3000 front end job by poking holes in my bumper.

To tell you the truth(knock on wood around here someplace) I have never been pulled or gotten a ticket for not having the plate on the car.
I have several freinds, PCA members, on the police force in and around this area and they all tell me the same thing. Dont worry about getting pulled over for that. If you get pulled over for another more serious offense the cop might make a deal about it but in most cases will look the other way.
Good luck trying to get legislative response to getting rid of the two plate law.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #24

Does anyone know the penalty for not having one in Maryland? I live one block from a police station, so I am bracing for tickets.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:58 AM   #25

This is my third "sports car" and I have never put a front plate on any of them. I got caught once but it was back in 1995. The fine was $40 I think. I am sure its more now.
BoxsterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:25 AM   #26

Old Fart, just say NO to a front plate. Tuck it under your passenger floormat and wait to get stopped, which may never happen. It's worth a fine if you have to pay one... getting popped with laser because YOU gave them a 1.5 square foot target is ludecrous!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:04 AM   #27

I keep these in my front trunk, in the spare tire cover. If stopped, I believe the Porsche service dept for putting it there. Why not, I blame them for everything else!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote