Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

Newbie Question

Hello everyone.

I've decided to realize a childhood dream and buy my first Porsche. I test drove a '01 S model and an 00 standard model today and enjoyed them both. However, I have one big problem...me. I'm 6'4" and 285lbs. I was able to fit, but It was very snug. The console delete fix will be a no brainer but I would like to do something with the seats... So here are my questions:

Do you think it is possible to take out the seat rails and hardware and bolt the seats directly to the floor?

And/or Have you heard of anyone having a seat shop modify/take out some of the stuffing to thin out the seats?

Or, Do you know of any aftermarket seats like Corbeau or Sparco that would work and offer a little more room?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. - Falcon

Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
b0xt0La

You don't want to drill into the frame of the car that's not a good idea unless someone knows how to do it perfectly. Have you considered a used 996? I think you can get one for the same price as a 2001 Boxster S. How much room would bolting the seat directly give you anyway?
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:23 AM   #3

I have a friend who had a similar problem with a 911SC. He is very tall, like 6'6" or 6'7", and did not have enough leg room. His solution had to do with installing a 924 or 944 seat (and rails, I think). Apparently the configuration of the seat is such that an he got an additional inch of so of leg room.
This may not be a practical solution in a Boxster, but it's something to check into anyway.
Ronzi
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:21 AM   #4

The Mid-America Catalog has a few seats, I'm sure there are others around. I'd look at Suncoast also since its a favorite of people on this board (including myself)

http://www.tweeks.com/shop?frame=8.90.2381

http://www.tweeks.com/shop?frame=8.90.2384
Old 07-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #5

>>>Do you think it is possible to take out the seat rails and hardware and bolt the seats directly to the floor? <<<
- There is no good way to get the stock seats lower to the floor. The seat rails are only about 1/2 inch thick from the factory

>>And/or Have you heard of anyone having a seat shop modify/take out some of the stuffing to thin out the seats?<<
NO

>>Or, Do you know of any aftermarket seats like Corbeau or Sparco that would work and offer a little more room?<<
The only solution that makes a significant difference (over an inch) is to purchase the Porsche GT3 seats and the Brey Krause mounting kit for GT3 in the Boxster http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9080.php

This is good for lowering your seat and the top of your head. I think the difference is 3-4 inches (your only hope besides and oversized custom roll cage if you take your car to the track.)
GT3 seat plus bracket costs about $1600 per side, so it isn't cheap.

There may be an aftermarket seat plus rails that will lower 1.5 inches, but it is hard to find any reliable data.

----

One option to consider is the 'center console delete kit'. Removing the console from the side of your leg (where the shifter is) is considered more comfortable by vertically enhanced drivers. I think this costs about $200 and 4 hours of work.

Ad Sach
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:22 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
I used to have a 951 (944 Turbo) and I can tell you that you would NOT be happy with those seats. The butt rails are metal and basically become a permenant part of your A$$ for those of us that haven't seen a size 34" waist in quite some time (present company included). Thankfully (i guess) i am only 6' 1" and the boxster seats are about 300x more comfortable for me than my 951 seats were.

good luck, and I will tell you -- even with a squeeze in the boxster (i dont have a whole lot of wiggle room myself), it is worth every second!!!