Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #1

How would rate your Boxster as a daily driver?

I'm thinking of buying a Boxster as a DD.

Currently, I have a Passat as my DD and a MB Diesel. I don't see the need for 2 sedans, and my vintage Beetle doesn't have AC, 4 wheel disc, or those things called crumple zones....

Most of the time its just me in the car, I spend alot of time on the highway, and truck space isn't necessary, since I have the Benz. If I need to haul something, I'll get the Benz.

How would you rate your Boxster as a DD?
Maintenance issues?
Fuel economy?
Insurance?
Presence? How is it perceived when you meet with clients?

ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
boggtown

Its my DD and has been for the past year. Its great, not a single problem for me.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #3

I can get up to 27 mpg on the highway in a boxster S. I think I average around 20-21 mpg.

As a DD its alot more docile than alot of other exotics by a long stretch and with 2 trunks it has more luggage room that any convertible near its size.

Most people will probably say a boxster is very little maintance, especially with oil changes only every 15k miles.

I'm sure if your meeting with clients its shows your alot more successful if your driving a Porsche than a 30 year old Beetle.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i get just about 20-21 mpg driving it daily, and i drive it pretty hard i would say, so i guess if you dont drive it like that you can get more, but whats the point of having a porsche if you dont drive it like a porsche?
if you have a manual, it sux in traffic, well at least for me, but you get used to it after a while, and your left leg gets stronger hehe
it will get you lots of looks and ricers will try and race you on daily bases, which is pretty funny.
so far i love it, its been great, i use it in winter as well...
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #5

I can only comment on the 987 -- bought it new and it is a fun DD. I've put over 15k miles on it since Feb of 06. I've had the check engine light come on once and it went away after a few days suggesting that I didn't screw the gas cap on tightly. I'm averaging about 20-21ish on mph (I also have a Tip). Have a separate set of wheels for winter driving and the car does well enough in the snow (so long as it isn't too high).

Edit: Personally, I think the A/C sucks. That's about my only complaint.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #6

If you are planning to keep one of your sedans, I think the Boxster will be an ideal choice.

I kept my 96 Infiniti G20 when I bought my Boxster. I think I could drive the Boxster exclusively here in Virginia, but it is nice to have the a front wheel drive vehicle when it snows. (Although you could just buy a set of snow tires.)

Overall I probably drive my Boxster more than my G20, but during winter and other bad weather the G20 sees more action.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #7

I only drive my BoxsterS on the weekends and I'm not crazy about the idea of using such a well performing car for a boring point a to point b commute full of traffic. The roads are murder on the paint and wheels. I've got one newly discovered 1/4 inch crack in right rear wheel, got a nail in my $1100(mounted) tires yesterday, and I ran over some debris from road construction and I think I tweaked the alignment. at $3-5 a gallon gas in the next two years, 25-30 mpg is extremely expensive for someone who logs high miles.

If I did have to drive every day I'd get a silver PRIUS and I would put every available technology into it. I'd have a fridge for cold beverages, GPS, MP3, Satellite radio, internet,etc. most people have all that stuff already.
But whatever you do please don't consider putting yet another 4 ton SUV on the road for daily driving. People who do this should pay a gas tax and a road repair tax as well.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #8

My Boxster is my DD, and it works fine. Since I only drive myself to the office, with just an attache or a laptop case, it's fine. I don't have kids or a significant other, so I never find it lacking for space.

It doesn't work too well for trips to Ikea... but it's fine for getting groceries.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
People who do this should pay a gas tax and a road repair tax as well.
Not sure how it works outside of Cali but here in California we pay a GAS GUZZLING TAX on large vehicles. All of our V8, V10 & V12 that we own pay a hefty tax at time of purchase.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #10

Boxster is also my DD and I'm loving it. Puts a smile on my face every day at 4:00pm. As Fray said, getting groceries is fine as long as you don't put frozen food in rear trunk. I'm not sure about putting 2 golf bags but 1 small bag fits well in the back also. My only problem is not being able to carry bike nor snowboards but they do have attachements for that which maybe later addition if I don't pick up a winter beater.
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #11

+1 on a Boxster as a DD.

Nothing better than a nice spring or fall afternoon, leaving work, dropping the top, and letting your cares flow away. It's great fun to drop the top on summer mornings when driving in to work. Try getting that kind of enjoyment out of a Prius.

Winter driving is fine as long as you put snows on. You may want to invest in a clear bra on to save the paint from rock chips.

Just remember 2 things: (1) you are in a small car and easily not seen by the behemoth SUVs, and (2) the Boxster has some large blind spots so always double check before making a lane change.

Get a Box and enjoy your commute.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #12

How would you rate your Boxster as a DD?
As a DD I love it. Just seem to have some idling issues when the AC is on at traffic lights. (Vacumme leak?)
Maintenance issues?
Other than oil changes and filter changes, I've had no other issues. (knock on wood!)
Fuel economy?
24 city - 29 highway (very happy with it!)
Insurance?
I'm 37 yrs old with a clean record so my insurance is $87 a month for full coverage with Mercury. Oh my commute is only 14 miles round trip which they consider during insurance pricing.
Presence?
Very heavy presence. I work in an environmental engineering firm and no one drives anything that isn't a hybrid haha!
How is it perceived when you meet with clients?
They all want to know how fast I've taken it. I just tell them to read the last number on the dial. Hehe... they also always joke that I'm paid way too much!
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Not sure how it works outside of Cali but here in California we pay a GAS GUZZLING TAX on large vehicles. All of our V8, V10 & V12 that we own pay a hefty tax at time of purchase.
we have that too but its only paid by the original owner who ditches the car after four years and said car rolls along hogging up the limited and expensive supply of gas for another decade.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
we have that too but its only paid by the original owner who ditches the car after four years and said car rolls along hogging up the limited and expensive supply of gas for another decade.
I see your point but I think the amount of $$ per vehicle they collect from the first owner should be sufficient considering each V8 V10 V12 had an original owner at one point or another.

So what exactly is your government doing with your entire highway toll $$$ that is collected? I'm in the NYC/NJ area all the time and those roads SUCK! For the amount of Toll they collect your roads are pretty ****************ty. Here in Cali no Tolls better roads.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #15

Great daily driver. I wouldn't have it any other way. I see no need to have two vehicles to serve the purpose of one. Approx. 23-24 mpg. Bought new. Had it since 1 April and have 5000 miles on it. Engine light came on 1 time (fault indicated no.2 cylinder misfiring). Fault was reset. May have been a clitch.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #16

I drive mine pretty much everyday... although my commute is only 5 miles. I do take the SUV on snowy days which equal about 7 times per year. Excellent daily driver.
I do worry about the crappy roads where I live, but I drive carefully when needed.
The car is comfortable, the air condition works great and I choose to drive the car most of the time.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Moostang
Yes my box is a designated driver.... good thing he stays sober... sorry.. that was as lame as it comes and yes I'm still at work going crazy. I had another car as a dd... but it proved pointless because I would come home and switch cars all the time. I've sold my trusty sentra and now can't be any happier. My insurance is pretty low ( im 27 ) and it sure makes leaving work that much sweeter. :dance:
Moostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #18

I drive my box on a daily basis, EVERYWHERE, whats the point if it sits in my garage, i might as well have a picture of it then lol I do have an 2006 audi s4 that i drive when its more then just me and my gf or in the really ****************ty weather we get here in chicago. I just feel safer knowing that when its icy and snowing like crazy, that if an suv goes out of control and hits me if im in the audi i might survive; whereas in the porsche i stand no chance lol, Plus, I dont have a hardtop so i perfer to not be in a convertable from mid dec to mid feb.
I get more looks from people in the box then i do in my audi even though i think the audi is a better car lol
I avg about 22-25 miles per galon on it so its really good and the insurance isnt that bad when you look around.
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:29 AM   #19

Garage
Hello guys,

my 2000 2.7 is my daily driver her in montreal... I slap on a set of 16" wheels and winter tires in december and go through the winter .. I probably leave the car home once maybe twice when we get too much snow.. otherwise the car sees the road every day.. 160,000 kms and zero mechanical problems... just a great car...
fourniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #20

I use mine as a DD, mileage is around 20mpg, the only hassle is being stuck in traffic with a 6 speed, I am old so I dont get the ricer effect wanting to race. It does create some problems when I pull up to work, the mid-life crisis versus perception of it being an expensive car, I really dont worry about but if I was in sales I think it could be a concern if you are dealing with conservative people.

In the end, who cares what other people think, buy one and have fun driving it!! The nay sayers will pee on every parade.

thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote