Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #21

Mine is a DD too.

30k miles & two years = one heck of a good time and no problems. When I bought the 987, I had an Acura CL type S that I was going to keep as my DD and just drive the Box occasionally. However, when I drove the Acura, I found myself wishing I was driving the Porsche - the Acura only lasted three months and I have not looked back.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
I see your point but I think the amount of $$ per vehicle they collect from the first owner should be sufficient considering each V8 V10 V12 had an original owner at one point or another.

So what exactly is your government doing with your entire highway toll $$$ that is collected? I'm in the NYC/NJ area all the time and those roads SUCK! For the amount of Toll they collect your roads are pretty ****************ty. Here in Cali no Tolls better roads.

the toll money goes to "waste management" Corp. and "trade union representation fees" Inc.
the two departments are co-chaired by Joey Bag-o-doughnuts and Billy Batts.

We also have the highest property taxes in the country. This state is too densely populated. And then there's more cars than people to boot!
I've started playing this game where I count the number of SUV both on the road and in parking lots. I'm convinced the ration of SUV to sedan is 3 to 2.
All these 4+ ton cars are busting up the roads. As soon as they fix them they are beaten down again.
North Jersey and Central Jersey get the worst of it. If you go south towards Monmouth County where the properties tend to be on larger plots of land there aren't as many people and the roads are actually some of the best in the country.
The Garden State Parkway South of Middlesex County is immaculate as good as any highway I've seen in Germany.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #23

Mine has been a DD ever since I bought her in 10/02. The drive to work and back are some of the most enjoyable times of my day. Living in the Bay Area, I am fortunate that my commute doesn't involve bumper to bumper traffic, as that would be the only downside I could see to having a (manual) DD.

The car rides great, is super comfortable and drives equally well in dry and rainy conditions. I average 20MPG of combined driving. I do all my own maintenance and do have an extended warranty in the event of anything catastrophic.

3 word for you: GO FOR IT!
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #24

I drive my '97 every day, rain, shine, snow, sleet! It's a low mileage car (bought it 1 1/2 years ago with 9,700 -now 21,000) Other than what you'd expect from a 10 year old car, it's been great! Service majors - convert. top cables $1300, new radiator cap $0, new tires $1,000. I will never be without a Porsche! Best purchase of a used car I ever made!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #25

Damn!

That's the kind on insight I was looking for.

Thanks for the commentary. I think I need to sell my Passat...I already have a 4dr...
ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #26

It's an awesome daily driver.

Great for every road. Even in Manhattan!!!!

Plenty of trunk space (10 cubic feet total) and comfy interior.

I wouldn't use it in the snow. I've tried it once and it was a nightmare. Rust is a concern also.

As for making an impression on clients, best to use an average car like a Camry or Accord that doesn't speak of your success. You don't want to intimidate them and you want them to be able to relate to you.

My dad is an emergency room physician and he drives an '04 Camry to work so his employees won't think he makes a lot of $$$.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #27

Daily driver here since May of '05. Just about to hit the 30,000 mile mark.

It's been fun. I even packed the girlfriend and myself in there to head up to Monterey/Carmel/San Jose this past New Years. We had all of our luggage in there for a five-day trip and even had room to stop by a winery on the way up and buy six bottles.

I was amazed. AND I've got an amp in the front trunk taking up a lot of room--three-inch-high false floor.

Highly recommended. Just make sure you have a bigger car for when you really need to haul stuff. For instace, you're not going to fit a hardshell Samsonite suitcase anywhere in the car!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #28

I sold two cars and bought a Boxster as a daily driver--I couldn't justify two cars with the amount of driving I do.
It's just fine--the two trunks give it more luggage space than most 2-seaters.
And you can short haul many bulky things with the top down.
It's good for trips, since it doesn't feel small inside, as my old Z3 did.
My lawn mower? Well, they will pick up and deliver for that.
986sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR
Damn!

That's the kind on insight I was looking for.

Thanks for the commentary. I think I need to sell my Passat...I already have a 4dr...
I went from Passat (96), to Passat 4wd (02?), to Touareg V8 (05) to Boxster (05) and aside from some difficult in very deep snow? I love having it as my daily driver. We go on extended vacations in it (kids are gone!) and we are very comfortable when we arrive. Maintenance wise the car is quite economical considering it's fun factor. I live on the Canadian border in WA and only need another 4x4 for deep snow about 20 days out of the whole year.

One suggestion? Look into a hardtop if you intend on keeping it any length of time. It's very nice in inclement weather and it saves the soft top.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote