Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
cartagena

I can assure you I am not living in the past. Apple makes machines for a "special" market of people. About 12-13 years ago I started my first Internet company. This is when I was first exposed to the dreaded Mac users. I could always tell they had a Mac before they said so since they always yelled in the phone "My Internet is not working!" in a voice resembling someone with Down Syndrome. Of course though, Mac users all think they are special. Steve tells them so and they believe it. Basically Steve's motto is "hey losers, buy my crap and you will be special!" He makes the super-uncool think they are cool.

I can just imagine the people who lined up for an Iphone. I bet they were societies outcasts, -rejects who justify their existence by buying a phone. They think they are "in" and "cool" and "special" and "cutting edge"....

I could go on and on with this topic but I think it is best I stop. Not only is it off-topic but I am going to have nightmares tonight now that I have recalled my first experiences with Mac users. I thought I had blocked that ugly memory out of my mind but unfortunately it remains.

My opinion of Mac is not from the 90s. It is from the crap they are producing now. If you want a computer to do a real job then use some flavor of Unix. If you want a computer for work then use Windows. If you want a computer so you can feel "hip" and "cool" with all the other societal outcasts, well there is Apple.

This is nothing directed against you personally. I have just met too many Mac users to think of them as normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prOk
Cartagena- your response is typical of people that are 'in the computer industry 15 years'... very closed minded and stuck in the past. The apple of 15 years ago has nothing to do with today. Everyone acknowledges that apple fell off the deep end in the 90's, but the MacOS of today is as advanced if not moreso than any OS on the market. Macs are based on the same bloody chips, drives, memory and standards as the best pc's you can buy. The difference is, apple pays close attention to the marriage between hardware and software which yields a much smoother user experience. Let go of past predjudices and take an unbiased look at what apple offers today, you might just be surprised. (I too have been in the 'computer industry' for 15+ years).

Old 07-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #22

Went to an Apple store this afternoon and played around with one of the test units and I must say that I am totally impressed! The interface is fantastic! I did have a little bit of a problem with the qwerty keyboard but no big deal really. I must say that I have been waiting for a gadget like this for years but still I feel like I should wait for the next generation to come out because I know that it will be even better than the first one. I have never really been an Apple person (I don't even have an Ipod) but truth be told, the iphone is making a believer out of this person!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #23

To comment on the "typical Mac user" of today, I find the previous statement rather insulting, and quite a bit off base. I agree with you, that if you want to do some serious computing, run some flavor of Unix. Well, OS X is some flavor of Unix.

I've gone back and forth over the years running Macs and PCs (let me mention that I am a creative professional and thus expect a lot out of a machine, i.e. the ability to work on large (up to 1GB at times) image files in a timely fashion) and at this point, you couldn't give me a PC. The current Mac Pros and MacBook Pros are just amazing machines. Just crack the case on a Mac Pro (or a G5, or go back to a G4 for that matter) and compare that to the priciest PC you can find and tell me who put their money into packaging/engineering. Add to this the fact that I just rebooted my MacBook Pro the other day for the first time in about a month, never worry about viruses or spyware, never have to defragment a drive, etc. Of the time my Macs are running, they are doing work 100% of the time and thus have zero time alloted to maintaining a machine. Find me a Windoze install (I don't care what version, and I'm including Vista in that statement) that can do that and I might be interested.

The Mac users that I know are highly educated professionals, who simply got sick of playing fix-it with PCs and want something that works. Heck, I even got my father to convert to a Mac.

With regard to the iPhone, what sets it apart from the rest of the smart phones is the interface. Period. Add the fact that is also contains an iPod, and you truly have a unique and functional product.

If you think those that are buying them are "uncool, scum of the earth who want to be cool" and bought an iPhone (or any other Apple product, for that matter) to be "cool," thats your opinion, but I don't consider myself, nor any of the other Mac users that I know, both personal and professional to fall into your classification.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #24
cartagena

Here is a funny cartoon:
Old 07-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #25
cartagena

One of my favorite articles about Mac users is on the link below. Please note that there is some vulgar language in the link so if you are easily offended (as most Mac users are) or too young to be reading such things, then please do not click on the link. Click here to read the article!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #26

Apple/Mac has it's advantages - mostly with a simple interface. Sometimes that's a great thing to have. But Apple/Mac do have their elitist fanboys. They're nice machines, but the word 'proprietary' really turns a lot of people off.

(My first computer was an Apple - ye olde IIe)

You want some power, and the ability to tweak it, and get lots of free stuff for it?

LINUX

I would run Linux on my box at home, save for the fact that there are a couple things (mostly games) that won't run on it. (yes, I know about WINE, and I also run VMWare Server, so I could set up a VM running XP to do my bidding, but games just wouldn't work well).

I recently bought a new laptop, and went with a Dell. It has XP Home on it... I haven't thrown Linux on it, because I haven't found a way to get my AT&T Wireless modem to work. (there may be some modem strings that can be used with it, but I haven't found any yet)

ANYWAY... this discussion should be about the iPhone itself, not bashing Apple or the Mac, regardless of your past experience.

I have to say this about Apple and the iPhone - they did VERY well on a v1.0 product. I can't wait to see how they tweak it to make some things a little more full featured, and it will be interesting to see what iPhone 2.0 does!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Apple/Mac has it's advantages - mostly with a simple interface. Sometimes that's a great thing to have. But Apple/Mac do have their elitist fanboys. They're nice machines, but the word 'proprietary' really turns a lot of people off.

(My first computer was an Apple - ye olde IIe)

You want some power, and the ability to tweak it, and get lots of free stuff for it?

LINUX

I would run Linux on my box at home, save for the fact that there are a couple things (mostly games) that won't run on it. (yes, I know about WINE, and I also run VMWare Server, so I could set up a VM running XP to do my bidding, but games just wouldn't work well).

I recently bought a new laptop, and went with a Dell. It has XP Home on it... I haven't thrown Linux on it, because I haven't found a way to get my AT&T Wireless modem to work. (there may be some modem strings that can be used with it, but I haven't found any yet)

ANYWAY... this discussion should be about the iPhone itself, not bashing Apple or the Mac, regardless of your past experience.

I have to say this about Apple and the iPhone - they did VERY well on a v1.0 product. I can't wait to see how they tweak it to make some things a little more full featured, and it will be interesting to see what iPhone 2.0 does!
+1
Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
I also consider all Mac computers to be toys for woman and children.
While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I could not disagree with you more.

I make a fine living in publishing with my Apple computers. And I've been publishing books and a quarterly periodical with it for many years. Apple computers aren't toys.

You may not like the way they come at programming from your own background, but that doesn't mean its wrong or bad. It's just different. Which brings me to an older byline they used to use: "Think Different."

BTW, Apple has always lagged behind PC's in the gaming industry... essentially proving that a PC makes a better "toy" than a Mac.

Just wait... the iPhone will probably become as common as the crackberries seen around airports everywhere, or all the other manufacturers will start releasing phones that are iPhone knock-offs to regain lost marketshare.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
Quote:
If you want a computer to do a real job then use some flavor of Unix.
lmao, you must just be bitter for having to wait all the way until october: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/technology/unix.html

Quote:
If you want a computer that will create work for the IT staff then use Windows.

t,ftfy

bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote