Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #1

Ashtray Question

Hi all,

I have just painted the centre console and door flaps Arctic silver. I got them properly painted in 2pac with a clear coat and they look great. I will post pics soon.

However, I have a little problem with the ashtray. When I took it all I'm sure the Ashtray had a little device on it that helps it stay closed. When I got it pack from the spraypainter, the ashtray remains open (due to the spring) and does not CLICK closed. I also noticed a cam gear on the reccess where the ashtray sits but I asume that it only to help it open and close, not to keep the ashtray shut.

If someone can have a look at their ashtray and describe the mechanism that allows it to CLICK open and CLICK shut, then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

kouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #2

Anyone
kouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #3

Ashtray Lid won't stay closed

I know this is a common problem. Someone must have a fix.

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouks View Post
Hi all,

I have just painted the centre console and door flaps Arctic silver. I got them properly painted in 2pac with a clear coat and they look great. I will post pics soon.

However, I have a little problem with the ashtray. When I took it all I'm sure the Ashtray had a little device on it that helps it stay closed. When I got it pack from the spraypainter, the ashtray remains open (due to the spring) and does not CLICK closed. I also noticed a cam gear on the reccess where the ashtray sits but I asume that it only to help it open and close, not to keep the ashtray shut.

If someone can have a look at their ashtray and describe the mechanism that allows it to CLICK open and CLICK shut, then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
How did you paint them arctic silver? Did you use someone who specializes in this?
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouks View Post
I also noticed a cam gear on the reccess where the ashtray sits but I asume that it only to help it open and close, not to keep the ashtray shut.
this is correct. the "nut" keeps the lid from slamming open and provides resistance on opening so it opens softly. i know this because i accidentally knocked mine into the console and now my ashtray lid slams open when it's open, however it remains closed.

looking at the tray / lid, there is a white doo-hickey that has a tiny pin pressing against the lid's large geared side (that mates with the gear you noticed in the recess). as the lid closes, the white part with the pin slides down into a lock on the lid and holds it closed. when it's pressed again, the pin slides back along the track and releases the lid to open.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 AM   #6

ok, took a video to show you what i mean.

after a closer look, the pin slides along the top of the track, meets a guide that pushes it into a notch. when it's pressed again, the pin is guided to the bottom of the track back to it's original position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkwnmtw-LgA