Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #1

Loony EU proposal. Think of the Children!

http://www.chrisdaviesmep.org.uk/news/2007/June/mep_proposes_big_co2_cuts_from_cars.htm

The full article is below but here in a choice quote:
Controversially he says that new vehicles should not be awarded type approval if they are built to exceed the maximum speed limit of 130 kilometres per hour applying in most European countries by more than 25% (162kmh or 101mph).
MEP proposes big CO2 cuts from cars
Car manufacturers will face severe restrictions to curb CO2 emissions from new cars if plans being put to the European Parliament gain approval.

North West MEP Chris Davies, the Parliament's rapporteur, will present his proposals to its Environment Committee on Tuesday 26 June.

He will call for average emissions from new cars to be cut by more than a quarter by 2015, and by 42% by 2020, purely by technical improvements. This would require carbon emissions to be reduced to 120g CO2/km and 95g CO2/km respectively. Latest figures suggest that new cars placed on the European market are emitting an average of 162g CO2/km.

The 2015 target proposed by the Liberal Democrat MEP is more environmentally ambitious than suggested in January by the European Commission but gives the industry more time in order make the design changes necessary.

To secure the goal Mr Davies will call for the creation of a new market mechanism, the Carbon Allowance Reduction System (CARS). Manufacturers and importers will be required to pay a penalty in proportion to the emissions that their vehicles produce above an annual benchmark, but will be able to claim financial credits for vehicles emitting less than the average.

Controversially he says that new vehicles should not be awarded type approval if they are built to exceed the maximum speed limit of 130 kilometres per hour applying in most European countries by more than 25% (162kmh or 101mph).

Mr Davies said: "Cars designed to go at stupid speeds have to be built to withstand the effects of a crash at those speeds. They are heavier than necessary, less fuel efficient and produce too many emissions.

"At a time when Europe is worried about its energy security it is sheer lunacy to approve the sale of gas guzzling cars designed to travel at dangerous speeds that the law does not permit."

The MEP is also calling for a major shift in the advertising of new cars, with 20% of all space devoted to information about fuel economy and CO2 emissions.

Mr Davies said: "We give information to smokers about the effects of cigarettes, so why should we not insist that car makers give customers more information about emissions from the vehicles they sell?"

Some 19% of all Europe's carbon emissions come from passenger cars and light-commercial vehicles. Absolute volumes of CO2 continue to rise because of the growing number of cars on the roads, their greater size and much increased power.

The report will be presented to the EU Environment Committee on Tuesday 26 June. The full text of the report can be found at:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/documents/pr/670/670834/670834en.pdf

Old 07-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #2

Wink

Tim, bring this over to the Lounge area as there has been a good ongoing discussion of the Global Warming Hoax and the maddening legislation that follows it. Some good info. that I am sure you will enjoy.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #3

Interesting stance. While it is true that any car designed to go fast has to be designed to be safe at those speeds, I think the real issue is not cars like the Boxster or 911 or M3 but rather things like the Cayenne Turbo, X5, and S55 AMG, not to mention the plethora of things like Yukons and Navigators running around ( more so in the states than in the EU, but this is a global issue).

A modern, technologically advanced sports car, that is light weight and powered by a modern, powerful though efficient and clean engine is hardly a problem in the big picture.

In my opinion, if anyone wants to drive a ridiculous truck without a legitimate reason (as 90% of American SUV owners do) they should pay hefty fees when purchasing, and annual hefty fees for owning a horribly fuel inefficent vehicle. As I said, this is global problem.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #4

What I would like to know is when are they going to do something about deisel fueled trucks? These thing belch millions of pounds of toxic substances into the air every year yet they have virtually NO restrictions. I am sure prices would rise if they had to put on some anti pollution equipment but I think it is time already. Also, I was reading (I think the Smithsonian???) about the coal fires that are burning virtually out of control especially in places like China. Someone ought to do something about that whole situation instead of picking on sport car drivers who put and average of 15K miles per year on thier cars.

Just my opinion environmentalists.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote