Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

selling from USA to Canada

Does anyone have any experience with selling a car to someone from Canada? The person that wants to buy the car is using a "money broker" and an importer. Apparently I need to fax the title to a number of places and send copies of my drivers license, etc.

Is this a scam of some sort??

porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #2

If you posted the car for sale via an online auction and the person interested contacted you via email it could very well be a scam. Some Nigerian love letter type thing.
Don't give out information and only speak over the phone or face to face.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #3

Highly possible its a scam, I would holdout for a local buyer.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #4

I brought my used 987S into British Columbia from Minnesota and let me tell you there is a lot of paperwork and waiting - more of a problem for the Canadian buyer than the seller.

The buyer will need the title and bill of sale very soon after buying, of course. And the BC insurance wanted the former owner's info - I never understood why. Maybe that is why they want your driver's license. The buyer will also need a recall clearance letter from Porsche US headquarters and a compliance label, which on my 2006 was part of the standard US paperwork.

Once it is in Canada it will need to have daytime running lights activated by the Porsche dealer and then be tested on the provincial level.

I did all the paperwork myself and lost two weeks driving time, so it may make sense to hire a broker of some kind. Don't write it off as a scam yet - ask why particular info is needed. But as the deal gets nearer you will need to talk on the phone.

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #5

Pierre gave pretty good summary of what's required to bring car over to Canada. I found this link while I was thinking about moving back to Canada.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288322&perpage=20&pagenumber=1
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #6

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but I wouldn't fax anyone a copy of your title until after the sale is made. Ask for lots details on the broker and check him / her out. It won't take long to uncover a scam.

While trying to sell my last car, a "broker" called looking for my exact car for a "client". However, the client had given the broker a check for $10K more than I was asking. The broker wanted me to take the check, give him the car, and $10k. What a deal. I told him to take a hike.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #7

Thank you all so much for (yet again) valuable advice. I emailed the potential buyer to let him know that this sale is just too much trouble. I'll try to keep the sale in the States.

I'm just too gunshy about faxing titles and my drivers license all over the place. Then have money brokers wire money instead of banks (because of a better exchange rate I guess). Anyway, its just not worth it.

Thanks again!!!

porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote