Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
ehD

convertible top not working after battery disconnect?

hi, i disconnected the battery to disarm the airbag to fix my sensitive horn.. well my torque bit was too fat.. but anyways when i reconnect the negative cable, i lost my radio code which im sure is normal but my convertible top seems to be stuck open... i cant close it. i hear no reaction when i push the close top button with e-brake on. does the radio code not being inputted affect this? also im not sure if my top is completely in the car.. as i dont remember how it looks like.. but theres gaps on the left and right side of where the top is stored... is that normal.. i thought it used to be flush but i could be wrong.
help! thanks

ehD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #2

There should not be big gaps or uneven. Having or not having radio code does not impact top. Not to sound simplistic, but are you sure the e-brake is pulled up and light showing as such on dash? What about the micro switch where the center latch goes - do you have a the infamous red clip & forgot to move it? I sometimes do (especially since I painted mine black to match).

If you e-brake light is not showing on the dash, your switch there could be going bad. Give it a few easy pulls (one or two notches) to see if that works. If not, then try a few hard pulls.

Since you're not getting any top motor movement or sound, I suspect it's either the switch in the e-brake or micro switch at center latch.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
+1 to what Burg suggested. I'd also check out the fuse box to make sure you didn't pop one when reconnecting the battery.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
ehD

awesome, ur right, the e-brake light wasn't on. somehow tho, it works now after a few e-brake tries.. i donno how to check out a burned fuse. anyway now i gotta figure out this radio code thing which i think is all over this forum.

THANKS BURG and CHILLS
Old 06-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Glad it was a quick fix.

To check your fuses open up the fuse box. Its by your left foot. There's a fuse puller in there. Just pop them out and see if the connection is broken.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:05 AM   #6

Get that e-brake switch replaced. It's a $5 part, and if you're a DIY-er, there are some how to's out there. It should be very easy.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
ehD

yea for some reason the e-brake light never turns on and i have to shut the engine off and turn the key slightly to get it working again. bummer. i heard i could just tape some fuse 18 and not even have to worry about the e-brake cause i can drive and close/open the top?

anyhow yay my ride is working again thanks to u guys!

btw does anyone have any tips for long term storage of the car?
Old 07-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #8

IIRC pin 18 on the top control module is not for the e-brake switch, it's for the speedo, so could in theory lift up the e-brake until the light comes on while still rolling and operate the top.

I would check into having your e-brake switch replaced. If the idiot light still doesn't come on EVERY time you lift the brake handle, and you have to wiggle your key, you may have a failing ignition switch.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehD
yea for some reason the e-brake light never turns on and i have to shut the engine off and turn the key slightly to get it working again

hmmm.... sounds like your ignition switch may be one it's way out too (about $25 to replace DIY too). For the cheapest OEM parts, I've always used www.****************************************************.com (supposedly cost +15%). Talk/email w/ Jeff Clark - he'll know exactly what you need.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote