986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   convertible top not working after battery disconnect? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11945)

ehD 06-30-2007 01:25 AM

convertible top not working after battery disconnect?

hi, i disconnected the battery to disarm the airbag to fix my sensitive horn.. well my torque bit was too fat.. but anyways when i reconnect the negative cable, i lost my radio code which im sure is normal but my convertible top seems to be stuck open... i cant close it. i hear no reaction when i push the close top button with e-brake on. does the radio code not being inputted affect this? also im not sure if my top is completely in the car.. as i dont remember how it looks like.. but theres gaps on the left and right side of where the top is stored... is that normal.. i thought it used to be flush but i could be wrong.
help! thanks :D

Burg Boxster 06-30-2007 03:07 AM

There should not be big gaps or uneven. Having or not having radio code does not impact top. Not to sound simplistic, but are you sure the e-brake is pulled up and light showing as such on dash? What about the micro switch where the center latch goes - do you have a the infamous red clip & forgot to move it? I sometimes do (especially since I painted mine black to match).

If you e-brake light is not showing on the dash, your switch there could be going bad. Give it a few easy pulls (one or two notches) to see if that works. If not, then try a few hard pulls.

Since you're not getting any top motor movement or sound, I suspect it's either the switch in the e-brake or micro switch at center latch.

Chills 06-30-2007 04:49 AM

+1 to what Burg suggested. I'd also check out the fuse box to make sure you didn't pop one when reconnecting the battery.

ehD 06-30-2007 09:33 AM

awesome, ur right, the e-brake light wasn't on. somehow tho, it works now after a few e-brake tries.. i donno how to check out a burned fuse. anyway now i gotta figure out this radio code thing which i think is all over this forum.

THANKS BURG and CHILLS :)

Chills 06-30-2007 09:54 AM

Glad it was a quick fix.

To check your fuses open up the fuse box. Its by your left foot. There's a fuse puller in there. Just pop them out and see if the connection is broken. ;)

FrayAdjacent 06-30-2007 11:05 AM

Get that e-brake switch replaced. It's a $5 part, and if you're a DIY-er, there are some how to's out there. It should be very easy.

ehD 06-30-2007 03:17 PM

yea for some reason the e-brake light never turns on and i have to shut the engine off and turn the key slightly to get it working again. bummer. i heard i could just tape some fuse 18 and not even have to worry about the e-brake cause i can drive and close/open the top?

anyhow yay my ride is working again thanks to u guys!

btw does anyone have any tips for long term storage of the car?

FrayAdjacent 07-01-2007 07:40 AM

IIRC pin 18 on the top control module is not for the e-brake switch, it's for the speedo, so could in theory lift up the e-brake until the light comes on while still rolling and operate the top.

I would check into having your e-brake switch replaced. If the idiot light still doesn't come on EVERY time you lift the brake handle, and you have to wiggle your key, you may have a failing ignition switch.

Burg Boxster 07-02-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehD
yea for some reason the e-brake light never turns on and i have to shut the engine off and turn the key slightly to get it working again

hmmm.... sounds like your ignition switch may be one it's way out too (about $25 to replace DIY too). For the cheapest OEM parts, I've always used www.****************************************************.com (supposedly cost +15%). Talk/email w/ Jeff Clark - he'll know exactly what you need.