Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #1

CEL light on! First time.

Got my first check engine light this past Saturday. On the way to the Cubs game I had the top down and it was super hot sitting in stop and go traffic so I put the top up and turned the a/c on. About 30 seconds later I got the CEL. Went to Pep Boys and they wanted $84 to run the diagnostics, but did a search here and I guess I can take it to Autozone for free. My question is, I think I am having a problem with my tiptronic transmission. To best describe it, when slowing to a stop the car shifts down to 2nd but it seems like it slips when coming to a complete stop and lurches forward when engaging 2nd. Would a transmission problem cause a CEL? For what its worth the engine has been running like a top. Sorry for the long post.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
Got my first check engine light this past Saturday. On the way to the Cubs game I had the top down and it was super hot sitting in stop and go traffic so I put the top up and turned the a/c on. About 30 seconds later I got the CEL. Went to Pep Boys and they wanted $84 to run the diagnostics, but did a search here and I guess I can take it to Autozone for free. My question is, I think I am having a problem with my tiptronic transmission. To best describe it, when slowing to a stop the car shifts down to 2nd but it seems like it slips when coming to a complete stop and lurches forward when engaging 2nd. Would a transmission problem cause a CEL? For what its worth the engine has been running like a top. Sorry for the long post.

Dude that title just sounds wrong. lol
Old 06-19-2007, 01:57 AM   #3

I remember when I popped my first cherry........
YellowPorscheMan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:06 AM   #4

Please edit the title of your thread.

Thank you.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I dont mind the thread cause i know when someone says "I popped my cherry"...You usually have to say what cherry and then your told what they experienced for the first time lol... doesnt always mean something sexual.

The only time my a/c triggers a CEL, when it proves too much for the Secondary Air Injection system to keep up, you either have a vacum leak or something in your secondary air injection system needs replacing... Goto autozone and tell us the P-code they give you.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #6

Sorry BruceLee, didn't mean to offend with the title, just a slang term

The code Autozone gave me was P1130 fuel air metering. They turned the CEL light off and it has stayed off so far...

The guy at Autozone mentioned a vacuum leak. What does this entail? Looks like I get to test that extended warranty.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
Sorry BruceLee, didn't mean to offend with the title, just a slang term

The code Autozone gave me was P1130 fuel air metering. They turned the CEL light off and it has stayed off so far...

The guy at Autozone mentioned a vacuum leak. What does this entail? Looks like I get to test that extended warranty.

Not a problem.

Thanks for understanding.

BL

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #8

With any of the O2 or possible MAF related codes (like the P1130), it's likely safe to clear it and observe. To be proactive, you could probably pop out your MAF and clean it up. I cleaned mine last weekend, and it only took 30 minutes or so.

I had a P1129 in January or February... cleared it, and about 5000 miles later, it hasn't come back.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #9

After searching on here and at renntech for the P1130 code, it seems to me that 90% of the posts mention the MAF. I think I'll try cleaning it this weekend, just to be proactive, but I need to get the security torx bits and MAF cleaner. Can I just use the stuff in the spray can I pick up at any auto store?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #10

It has to be electrical parts cleaner... they sell it at any autoparts store. The torx.... thats harder to find... you can try napa and sears.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #11

you do not use electrical parts cleaner but the MAF spray cleaner made by CRC. you can get a can from autozone or pep boys. you need to call around for the security torx bit....they sell at sears, sometimes napa or harbor freight.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #12

Crap... sorry, my mistake, MAF cleaner, thats what i bought to clean my MAF... its right next to the electrical parts cleaner LOL

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 06-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #13

Well the CEL came back about 300 miles later. Went to clean the MAF and after I popped open the engine compartment, I started the car and I can hear what actually sounds like a vacuum. I doubt if this is normal, because on here and renntech code P1130 is always mentioned with a vacuum leak, just didn't know it sounded like an actual vacuum! Here is pick I took, the areas circled have a bit of oil on them and it sounds like the suction sound is coming from that side. Are these the A/O seperator and oil filler tube? I guess these are common vacuum leak areas. How hard is it to fix these two?