Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #1

How Many hours to replace a Coolant Resevoir tank

I had to have my Coolant Resevoir tank replaced, the Porsche dealership said it will take 4.5 hours to do. Does this sound right? For $140 an hour, I'd like to know I am not getting my pants pulled down

stephendoherty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:03 AM   #2

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6675&hl=tank

I was told by a mechanic I know at my dealer that the charge was 5.5 hours, but had been reduced to something like 4 hours. In reality a mechanic who has done it before can do it in about 40 minutes. The mechanic I know has replaced many tanks and he showed me how to do it. But it took me 3 days playing around with 1 hose clamp.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:46 AM   #3

Well, it took me an entire day to replace mine (incl. lots of perspiration, busted knuckles and foul language)... but this was the first (and hopefully last) time I did it.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
I've done one as well. It's pretty straightforward, except for getting to a couple of hose clamps. I had to use a set of locking needle nose pliers and a lot of going from under the car to up top to wrestle one of them off. In the end, it took about 6hrs. If I had to do it again, I bet I could finish in 4hrs.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #5

Here is a cheap option (kinda ghetto/shade tree mechanic style), but at worst you'll end up having to replace the resevoir tank anyways:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1838

"hey update on my experimental fix.... it looked like it worked! The JB weld was actually able to stop the coolant leak. After i wiped off the residue and cleaned the outside of the tank. I just put globs of that stuff underneath the coolant tank. It completely stopped the leak, seems that stuff can handle temperatures up to 500 degrees BTW....i drove for a few days already with my ghetto fix, and its holding up well "

Good luck with whatever you end up doing,
Larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote