Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 04:41 AM   #1

few pics

first pic is the picture of painted center with 986 emblem on the batwing and rear wing switch. i'm still testing out if i should keep 986 emblem there or not.

second & third pics are the engine from bottom. i had to replace RMS due to small leak.

forth pic is worn out clutch. i guess 2 previous owners loved grinding that clutch since it's worn at 43k miles.

last pic is the front view of the boxster itself.

Last edited by spark00; 06-26-2007 at 04:50 AM.
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #2

Looks busy..

to me. There is a lot going on visually and I personally don't think more bling adds to the equation. I believe that here is a case for "Less is more". The fact that you are undecided means something is bothering you about the 986 numbers where they are placed. But do what makes you happy with the car and enjoy it.

Allen NYT
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
to me. There is a lot going on visually and I personally don't think more bling adds to the equation. I believe that here is a case for "Less is more". The fact that you are undecided means something is bothering you about the 986 numbers where they are placed. But do what makes you happy with the car and enjoy it.

Allen NYT
Agree. The 986 emblem looks "plasticy" to me. IMO, there's already enough plastic looking parts in the box. I think if you remove it, it'll look fine. The painted pieces look good.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #4

i actually like how silver painted center looks on this car. i didn't need 986 on the back anymore and just put them on that space. i can't make up mind about them though. as Allen said, maybe it's bothering me a bit somehow. the emblem doesn't have full strengh tape so i can put them on and off very easy. i notice that i need to adjust the spacing though if i want to keep it.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't think the emblem fits very well. Perhaps a silver/chrome sticker would be better than the 3D rear trunk emblem.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark00
i actually like how silver painted center looks on this car. i didn't need 986 on the back anymore and just put them on that space. i can't make up mind about them though. as Allen said, maybe it's bothering me a bit somehow. the emblem doesn't have full strengh tape so i can put them on and off very easy. i notice that i need to adjust the spacing though if i want to keep it.
I once thought about that space for the 986 emblem too. But was thinking of a smaller decal to fit in that area. Now that I see it on yours, I'm not so sure. The spacing between the numbers is definately to much. I would just put it on the rear trunk. The painted silver interior parts look great.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I once thought about that space for the 986 emblem too. But was thinking of a smaller decal to fit in that area. Now that I see it on yours, I'm not so sure. The spacing between the numbers is definately to much. I would just put it on the rear trunk. The painted silver interior parts look great.
thanks for the silver interior comments and general opinion on 986 emblem. i think 986 will be coming off this afternoon. man, it seems like this forum and member opinions are driving my life these days. so easily influenced. haha. well, someone had to try the idea and share how bad it would look, right?

btw, my buddy who owns a brand new 911 can't believe how cool the painted pieces look in the car.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #8

In the first pic, what's the switch below the PSM on/off? I just have a blank there.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcutter
In the first pic, what's the switch below the PSM on/off? I just have a blank there.
that's the spoiler override switch to raise and lower the spoiler while driving. the manual spoiler switch by the fuse box didn't make sense to me. it was pretty easy hack if you want to do it.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #10

If you feel a need for something down there perhaps one of the 3-D stick on crests from PCNA would do? The one on my windstop is the larger of the two. The one I have measures 1"x1.25". The smaller is .62x.75" (15mmx19mm). You could temporarily stick it on with some other easily removed glue and send us an opinion pic again. Small crest would add a touch of color and be more of a focal point than a bling statement. IMHO of course, again do what pleases you. Party on!!

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #11

I found these nice 3-D emblems the other day on e-bay. I'm not sure where you would put them but they are of very nice quality for the price. This is a link for the 986 Porsche one I like. But if you check out the seller's store, you will see he has other Boxster options. Including a 3-D Porsche logo. Enjoy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2X-986-PORSCHE-3d-Decal-Sticker-for-Boxster_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50447QQihZ008QQ itemZ180132434009QQtcZphoto

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 06-26-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #12

i was looking at the same 3D emblems on ebay before i put 986 trunk emblem. i thought 'PORSCHE' sticker would give somewhat retro look to it. but then again, not having anything on that area may give cleaner and shaper look.

i get bored often, so don't be suprise if i come back to this thread and post another pic with these 3D emblems. haha.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #13

986spyder i bought the 3d decal from that same company "986 porsche" and i put it where spark put the 986 emblem. looks pretty good. the finish is pretty good! i like it alot!
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Roadster
986spyder i bought the 3d decal from that same company "986 porsche" and i put it where spark put the 986 emblem. looks pretty good. the finish is pretty good! i like it alot!
Sounds like a good place. Do you have pictures of it in that area?