Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #1

Brakes failed and unable to recreate the problem, what to do?

I drove my 97 boxster out of the parking lot at a slow speed, about 10 mph. I pressed on the brakes, the ABS pulsated the pedal and my foot pushed the pedal to the floor. I pulled the emergency brakes and the car stopped. When the cars at the cross way passed, I tested the brakes again and again and was unable to recreate the problem.

The dealership whom I had a tune up with 6 months ago couldn't recreate the problem nor find any leaks with the car--no ABS error logs in the computer, no brake fluid leaks.

They suggested several possibilities:
1. Did I press the clutch instead of the brake. (Nope, they're miles apart; it is unlikely.)
2. Perhaps a problem ABS computer, a bad master cylinder, or bad lines. (There is no sign of brake fluid leaks on the cylinder or lines and the dealer claims they have never seen a case where there was a bad abs computer)

Thus, if they had to change anything, they would change the master brake cylinder, even though there is no visible sign of problems with it.

Has anyone had this problem with thier car? I feel I am throwing money at the problem without being able to verify the cause? Would you just drive it at safe distances and try to recreate the problem and if it doesn't happen again, second guess yourself by assuming that you pressed the clutch?

Thanks,

J

anson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
sounds scary.
did you see the thread where the gy crashed a GT3 into bunch of cars by pressing the wrong pedal?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Had you thought of the possibility that you rolled over a slick coating of oil on the concrete. Happened to me once leaving a gas station and the abs pulsated and the car didnt want to stop until i passed the oil... oil proved too slick for my abs system to overcome while on top of the oil.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #4

If something like that happened, I would probably go ahead and flush the brake system, and check the soft brake lines. Replace any that are needed. In the process, you could inspect the lines and calipers, and also monitor the reservoir.

If you do not do it yourself, I'd have a dealer or brake shop do this.

DO IT. Your brakes are probably THE MOST IMPORTANT SYSTEM IN YOUR CAR.

The life you save may be yours, or someone else's.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Had you thought of the possibility that you rolled over a slick coating of oil on the concrete. Happened to me once leaving a gas station and the abs pulsated and the car didnt want to stop until i passed the oil... oil proved too slick for my abs system to overcome while on top of the oil.
Same thing happened with me, but with water instead of oil. Almost hydroplaned, but the car seemed to respond quick enough for the brakes to work properly.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #6

That's a good suggestion about driving over a slick road, but it's unlikely because I've drive on that pavement often without tires ever slipping. It's not a slick road.

The mechanic flushed the brakes several months ago and checked again the lines. He mentioned that if I wanted anything more, it would be to replace the master brake cylinder.

anson is offline   Reply With Quote