Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #1

Top stuck in down position

Hi,
I tried to raise my roof today and the top won't go up. I brought the car for a smog inspection in CA . they had to lower the roof half way to get to the engine. The roof worked fine going down after that but now it is stuck in the down position. I know if I bring it back they will give me a hard time and say it is not their fault. Any suggestion how to fix it or manually get the top back up.

Also when I try to raise the roof I hear the motor trying to raise it. the light is on with the roof symbol saying it is mid position. please help
thank

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #2

hi,

i had the exact same problem with same symptoms. I thought the motor was bad but the cables had broken. it is being fixed right now. don't know cost as it is covered under my extended warranty.

2002 base box
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #3

Never heard of a smog inspection needing to have the engine compartment opened up to run test. Most shops now days just plug into your O.B.D. under the steering colum area. Not sure why they did that unless it was an older shop using older types of equipment. Wierd.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #4

Please elaborate:

Is it fully down?
What happens when you push the button to raise the top? (noise? Grinding? Popping? Nothing?)

Things to check: Is your parking brake on? Is the idiot light in the dash for the p-brake on? (if not, the top will not operate). Does the top latch switch react when you jam your finger up into it?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #5

in Cali they have to do a "visual inspection" to verify there are no "modifications" made to the smog systems. They made me open up mine when I took it in last smog inspection.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
here in chicago they just dont care it seems. they just plug in the OB2 connector, wait a minute and say have a good day.
i never had any 'inspection' of ANY SORT on any of my 8 cars, weird.
i even passed with straight pipes on my old car hahah

BUT, take a look at the plastic caps as well on the part, if its red you need to replace thm, or most likely its already broken.
cost me 45 bux at sunset for one side
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #7

I just brought the car back to the place that did the smog inspection. the guy did not know how to fix the problem. so he read the manual and was able to undo some shock polls so you can manually close the roof. The roof is closed and the windows work but he left the shocks or I am not sure what they are called unlatched. Now the light is still on saying the roof is open but it is closed. if I unlatfch it I hear the motor running as if the roof is going up or down. But since it is not attached it is not moving. the truck part in the back that lifts up is down but you can lift it up with your hand. I had enough with this guy I am going to have to bring it in to get it fixed. Does anyone know how to reattach the shock bars or whatever they are called and any idea how I could fix it before I bring it in and pat big bucks.

also I live in Santa clarita CA. Are there any reputable Porsche certified mechanics that you guys recommend so I don't get ripped off.
thanks
Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #8

Well I feel your pain, can't help much though. Mine stopped about 3/4 down. So far the shop has found a broken cable, one bent arm. The parts are ordered so I'm in a waiting mode. So far I'm in for $310.

One thing to check. Look at the motor mounted on the rear wall (soft top side of the trunk wall). You will see the the cables going in both sides. Take off the clips and the cables will pull straight out. You should have about 3/4" of cable sticking out of the housing. Over time it stretches and the motor doesn't have enough to grab.

Unless your Boxster is older this probably isn't the cause, but it's a qiuck and free check. Mine is an '02 and they were fine.

The are a couple of threads on Renntech on this. I got some good help and info there.