Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #1

Unhappy Unacceptable Problems

I have now owned my BoxsterS Tiptronic for coming up to 5 years. I am now 60 and wanted a fun car and the Boxster certainly has proved to be a magnificent driving machine, marred only by the seemingly endless problems. Just out of warranty, oil seal betweeen engine and gear box developed a leak. 18K miles only but no goodwill payment from Porsche. Gear box out to repair. Both camcovers leaking oil at 27K no goodwill, Cylinder heads off. Tensioner cables to hood broken causing severe leaks - Back of seats swimming in water. - new hood @ 31k. Broken central cubby lid, broken cigarette lighter. Broken front electric window guide. corroding alloys, new discs all round, broken silencer mounts. missing heatshields to cat, all before 40k. Now both condensers for air con leaking and require renewal, new arms for rear suspension needed and still not done 45K, and theres quite a lot more. At my age, I dont hammer the car, its serviced regularly by Porsche main dealers as per the handbook, however this build quality is plain hopeless. Previously had an old 911 - bullet proof, but these newer Porsches seem to be going the way of Mercedes as the accountants take over from the engineers.
Son has had a Honda S2000 for three years - problems during 63,000 miles - none. Not as refined as the Boxster although high revving engines wonderful. At a recent service, the number of customers complaining was far too many. If you are thinking of buying a pre owner Boxster, only buy if you can get a l,ong term warranty for the length you intend to own the car, or remortgage your house.
Dave Mold is offline   Reply With Quote