Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #1

cdr220 pos

The damn thing is cranked all the way up and won't come down below volume 38. I took the knob off to see it were stripped, no. And tried to manually turn it down with the knob off and it still won't go lower than 38. My speakers sound like they're going to blow and that's just too damn loud. I've resorted to turning it off altogether.

Any help in this? If worse comes to worse and there is no way to turn it down, I'll swap it with another CDR220 my dad has but, then I've got to buy that bs stereo removal kit. Or maybe I'll just buy a new deck and trash this blaupunkt crap, I have no clue why they still use these inferior audio components.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
Or maybe I'll just buy a new deck and trash this blaupunkt crap, I have no clue why they still use these inferior audio components.
Your mean trash the BECKER crap.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #3

oh some stereo shop told me it was blaupunkt, becker even better.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Use some electrical contact cleaner to wipe down the metal contacts at the rear of the faceplate. That should fix the problem.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #5

Hi,

You need to pull the Faceplate and clean the Brass contacts on both the Faceplate and Head Unit with a Q-tip and some Rubbing Alcohol. Then, carefully reattach it so as to be sure that all the contacts line up. This should solve your problem.

The Faceplate actually contains microprocessor circuitry which controls the HU. If the contacts get dirty, or misaligned, it don't work. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

You need to pull the Faceplate and clean the Brass contacts on both the Faceplate and Head Unit with a Q-tip and some Rubbing Alcohol. Then, carefully reattach it so as to be sure that all the contacts line up. This should solve your problem.

The Faceplate actually contains microprocessor circuitry which controls the HU. If the contacts get dirty, or misaligned, it don't work. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
well, thank you very much. cleaned the contacts and voila it works. thanks again Jim!
Old 06-15-2007, 07:48 AM   #7

Interesting. I'm on my third radio in three years. The selection knob quit working properly. I'll have to try this. I do like the styling of the radio and would hate to replace it as it seems to go so well with the rest of the car. I cannot stand that chromey LED stuff with dolphins jumping around or laser light shows. I was surprised last time I replaced the radio in that the local Porsche dealer sold remanufactured units for $280 which included a two year warranty. Half of some of the internet sources.

ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote