Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #1

Question Painting the brake "hats"?

The influence of this group is starting to show. I am in the process of cleaning the back side of my wheels which after 35k of baked on brake dust is quite a process and time consuming (one more wheel to go!). While I have the wheels off I started cleaning the hats (anal for sure) and after much rubbing with rag & wheel cleaner, steel wool, I find that a gray paint underneath all that grime. If I sand this off the hat would be nice and shiny but would probably rust like mad. Someone here awhile back had some pics of painting their hats. I wonder if they would post again what kind of paint they used and what level of metal prep they used? The clean inside wheels and hats really make a difference in the look of the wheel as a whole. Do I go too far?

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
bmussatti

AKL, if they are painted now...why do you need to paint them again? Just keep them clean this time around.

I think it was Grizzly who posted pictures of his painted hats.

Before you re-mount your "clean" wheels...give them 1 or 2 good coats of ReJex wax. You will be very happy.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
bmussatti

Oh yeah, here ya go:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10138&highlight=paint
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #4

Because...

[QUOTE=bmussatti]AKL, if they are painted now...why do you need to paint them again? Just keep them clean this time around.

Because they are a rather dull grey look and I would rather have them be a brighter silver. I will wax 'em real good as I have done the backs of the wheels so they look good longer and resist the dust build up. Toad Ja this group is working on me...

AKL
Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #5

Allen,
I would suggest painting them. I can't suggest a good high temp paint to use though. And you may run the risk of it chipping off, then it would probably look worse then before. I upgraded my rotors to drilled Zimmerman's and also sent my calipers out to a company in NJ called PowerTech to have them re-painted and re-logo'd. The hats on my Zimmermans came painted black and the combination of all the above makes the car look years younger. It's amazing. You'll see them when we hook up for the Rhinebeck trip.

Ben
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #6

Cool

Hey Ben, looking forward to seeing your setup and getting your take on the drilled Zimmermanns. I put them on my '83 911SC and they seemed to work fine, didn't crack or warp. I did not track the vehicle with them on so I don't think I put them under much stress. They do add to the bling factor however. What color did you have your calipers painted and can you show any pics? I believe they used to make silver radiator paint that was high temp and I suppose I should check the auto store for a high temp Silver. This is fun stuff.

Right now (5:50pm) we are preparing to go over to the Mickey Dee lot next to the Poughkeepsie bridge for the Fri. night car show where you are sentenced forever to listen to '50s rock & roll. Always nice to see custom rods and bikes but rarely P-cars show up. Party on!

Allen
Old 06-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #7

West Bank

That Mickey Dee lot is on the West Side of the river. Thought I should clarify.

AKL
Old 06-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
That Mickey Dee lot is on the West Side of the river. Thought I should clarify.

AKL

Allen, Got the email too late. let me know the next time you meet there and i'll try if make it. Ben
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
p ainted my hats black, they were kinda on the rusty side almost. scuffed them down with steel brush, then some steel wool, and paint on.
i used the high temp barbique paint, or for painting grills. wored fine, and holds up good, even after 2 autoXs
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:23 PM   #10

Couper1, will do. There is a gathering every Fri. night and is sponsored by one of the local radio stations. A few Miatas, a Mercedes but mostly muscle cars and rods. I like them all so I enjoy seeing good work. Quality runs the gamet. We don't go every Fri. but will let you know next time.

DJ, I will look for some hight temp Silver paint. Just finished cleaning the inside of the last rear wheel. Gathering courage to use the Griot's Orbital and clay bars. Will let you know the results.

AKL