Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #1

Conv Top Question

Using Bentley terms, the conv top compartment lid operating link (whew) has popped off the transmission drive lever.

In layman's terms, the miniature shock absorber has popped off the knuckle it swivels on.

I have tried to gently hammer it back on. It gets about half on and doesn't seem to want to go any farther. Do I use more force, put some WD40 on the knuckle to help it on, or is there some trick I don't know about? I don't want to harm it by beating it into submission.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Using Bentley terms, the conv top compartment lid operating link (whew) has popped off the transmission drive lever.

In layman's terms, the miniature shock absorber has popped off the knuckle it swivels on.

I have tried to gently hammer it back on. It gets about half on and doesn't seem to want to go any farther. Do I use more force, put some WD40 on the knuckle to help it on, or is there some trick I don't know about? I don't want to harm it by beating it into submission.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.
Are you using a rubber malot at least when you beat on it. Don't use a regular hammer. Try the WD40.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #3

Nix the WD40. Clean it off. It is NOT a lubricant. It will gum up and hinder movement.

I'd get some lithium grease on the ball, and then use a rubber mallet to tap it on. Make sure the V shaped thing it connects to is not bent. It's supposed to be FLAT.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #4

not a boxster owner yet, but I'm guessing this part you are banging on is similar to the old minishocks used on countless glass hatches during the 80's. The ball joint may have a tab in it that needs to be pushed aside with an LGS (techinical term for little green screwdriver) in order to fit it all the way on. That was the issue I had when my old rx-7's glass hatch shocks needed to be replaced.

just a thought.
lghtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #5

you may need a new piston. the older boxsters had problems with these. They should have some reisitance, but easy for manual operation.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #6

You have to use a bit of force to get them back on to the ball, but they'll go. The bigger question is, why did it pop off. Those things act as a sort-of relief valve when things go wrong. Be sure that your cables and transmissions and such are working correctly, so you don't bend things up.

The paintless dent guy will charge you $420.00 to get the dents out of your hard boot if you screw it up. Ask me how I know that.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #7

it happenned to mine, move the top up and down as you push it back on when i did that mine poped back on easily. hope we are talking about the same thing and this helps
surfbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #8

Back In The Saddle (or Knuckle) Again

Grizz - OK I'll ask, so how do you know? (j/k)

Thanks for the responses. Lghtby had a good suggestion but I checked and there is no open / close clip on the shock.

I suggested WD40 (but hadn't used it) because it seems WD40 dries quickly. I figured it would provide enough lubrication to get the job done, then dry up and keep it from popping back off because it was slick. Once again, didn't use it.

I was carefully using a regular hammer because the only rubber hammer I have is bigger than a beer can. With the top in service mode, the trans driver lever knuckle is in a cramped area and prevented anything that size from providing any force.

I was able to get it back in place by taking a drop of motor oil on my finger and lightly lubing the top half of the knuckle. Then took a 1/2" diameter punch and carefully pounded it back on with a reg hammer. I put the top up and down several times and it has remained in place.

But Grizz has a good question - the one about why it popped off in the first place. The trans driver lever didn't appear bent compared to the other side. The track the hatch follows seemed a little dry and could possibly use some lubrication, but I wouldn't know what to use and wouldn't want to guess. Bentley doesn't have a section on lubricating the hatch. I suppose I will just have to watch it and see what happens. It's easy to tell when it comes off (now that I know what the problem is) because the hatch squeaks over bumps and the hatch corner does not seal flush with the top of the qtr panel. I've heard the squeak for a few days now (I hate squeaks) and noticed the hatch not tight last night when I washed it.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote