View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
husker boxster

Back In The Saddle (or Knuckle) Again

Grizz - OK I'll ask, so how do you know? (j/k)

Thanks for the responses. Lghtby had a good suggestion but I checked and there is no open / close clip on the shock.

I suggested WD40 (but hadn't used it) because it seems WD40 dries quickly. I figured it would provide enough lubrication to get the job done, then dry up and keep it from popping back off because it was slick. Once again, didn't use it.

I was carefully using a regular hammer because the only rubber hammer I have is bigger than a beer can. With the top in service mode, the trans driver lever knuckle is in a cramped area and prevented anything that size from providing any force.

I was able to get it back in place by taking a drop of motor oil on my finger and lightly lubing the top half of the knuckle. Then took a 1/2" diameter punch and carefully pounded it back on with a reg hammer. I put the top up and down several times and it has remained in place.

But Grizz has a good question - the one about why it popped off in the first place. The trans driver lever didn't appear bent compared to the other side. The track the hatch follows seemed a little dry and could possibly use some lubrication, but I wouldn't know what to use and wouldn't want to guess. Bentley doesn't have a section on lubricating the hatch. I suppose I will just have to watch it and see what happens. It's easy to tell when it comes off (now that I know what the problem is) because the hatch squeaks over bumps and the hatch corner does not seal flush with the top of the qtr panel. I've heard the squeak for a few days now (I hate squeaks) and noticed the hatch not tight last night when I washed it.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote