Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you use driving gloves for street driving?
Yes, I use Porsche Design gloves 0 0%
Yes, I use other brand name 8 14.81%
No 46 85.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #1

Driving Gloves

Do you use driving gloves for street driving?

blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #2

Sent mine to Goodwilll with my Members Only Jacket and Sergio Valente Jeans.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Yep. I have fingless gloves for summer and full fingered for spring/fall. They go well with my driving hat and scarf.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
bmussatti

I know at least one driver on this Forum who uses driving gloves (fingerless type) and he is a very good driver. I will not mention names.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #5

I don't really see a need for driving gloves (street driving) unless you have an issue with extreme sweating. I think they are a bit 'cheesy'. Seems like it's living up to the stereotype of a Porsche driver - wearing a Porsche logo hat, driving gloves and penny loafers.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
In all seriousness I did buy them because I get hot very quickly when its above 75 degrees. I'm a cold weather person through and through.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
boggtown

When we bought our cayenne one condition was i get porsche design gloves. apparently they couldnt get them so i have nothing... i will have to talk with him some more and get a cost equivilent. basically... I WANT THOSE GLOVES, lol. sorry for no caps, too lazy
Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #8

I personally like the idea of driving gloves. One of my reasons for that is to get used to the feel of wearing gloves while driving so it wouldn’t feel unusual when going to track or autocross.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #9

AX? maybe.. Track driving? yes. Street driving? no. Unless you count "winter" gloves
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #10

Its funny this came up today, my friend and I went on a bike ride this morning and I rode over to his house. We got done a little late so I asked for a ride home, he's got a 2000 S similar to mine, we jumped in and he still had his bike gloves on and I told him to take them off immediately because he looked totaly stupid.

As for me, I actually own driving gloves...I have never used them or found a use for them...
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #11

ewwwww.....man oh man....no gloves please....its like a drummer who wears gloves...leave it for the hair bands

if my mom were buying a cayenne, the condition I would have was as long as it didn't come with gloves
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
AX? maybe.. Track driving? yes. Street driving? no. Unless you count "winter" gloves
My thoughts exactly! I do ware some during the winter, but only if it's freezing outside and when I get inside my car. I like the black leather skin tight gloves that keep my hands warn and so I am able to still FEEL the stearing wheel.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
This is a bit much. Everyone has the right to drive their car in whatever attire they think best. But seriously, gloves for street driving? That's pretty funny and it should not be a stereotype for Porsche owners/drivers.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
boggtown

Lol, they were for me, not her. Whod drive a cayenne with driving gloves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
ewwwww.....man oh man....no gloves please....its like a drummer who wears gloves...leave it for the hair bands

if my mom were buying a cayenne, the condition I would have was as long as it didn't come with gloves
Old 06-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #15

Hi,

I think some of you guys are missing the point.

Driving gloves are not for warmth, better grip, or to look cool. They're for protecting the car's interior from the High Ph of sweat and fingerprints, and the constant wear to switch gear and other parts.

That said, there's nothing particularly rare or expensive about a production car like the Boxster, so I wouldn't opt for them, but a Vintage Spyder or Ferrari - absolutely!!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
I don't really see a need for driving gloves (street driving) unless you have an issue with extreme sweating. I think they are a bit 'cheesy'. Seems like it's living up to the stereotype of a Porsche driver - wearing a Porsche logo hat, driving gloves and penny loafers.
Hi,

Whoa.... Hold on there... I LOVE my Hand Made Mephisto Spinnaker Penny Loafers!

Next to my Piloti DTMs, they're maybe the most comfortable shoes I own, and I own a LOT of shoes...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 06-06-2007 at 01:00 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I think some of you guys are missing the point.

Driving gloves are not for warmth, better grip, or to look cool. They're for protecting the car's interior from the High Ph of sweat and fingerprints, and the constant wear to switch gear and other parts.

That said, there's nothing particularly rare or expensive about a production car like the Boxster, so I wouldn't opt for them, but a Vintage Spyder or Ferrari - absolutely!!

I will just save my gloves for my future vintage Ferrari then....
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #18

So i see most of you dont like driving gloves for street use and think its just plain silly. One of members mentioned they are just for grip and to preserve the interior. Before that someone mentioned that gloves are for track use and just maybe autocross. So my question is this: Why are gloves so important for track? And not so important for autocross? If its for grip i would think gloves would come in handy for those weeked canyone drives......no?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #19

I don't think there's anything strange about wearing gloves for daily driving.
I keep both hands on the steering wheel 99% of the time and if I'm on a drive longer than 45 minutes I often wear batting gloves (under armor from Sports Authority). Its very good in the Summer when its hot and my hands get sweaty.
My friend's girl friend thought it was funny that I was wearing gloves and then I aksed her when was the last time she had the oil changed on her Jetta...

The Boxster and 996 steering wheels are not expensive to replace but they aren't cheap either. You can get just the leather trim for about $100 but it will come out crappy looking if you aren't good with the needle and thread. An upholstery shop wanted mmm forgot I think about $150 to do the job.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion97
So my question is this: Why are gloves so important for track? And not so important for autocross? If its for grip i would think gloves would come in handy for those weeked canyone drives......no?
Fire protection, they are part of your safety equipment. For the street, I think they were originally bought by British car owners so the leaking oil wouldnt soil your hands

thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote