Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #1

Roll bar extension

I'm 6'2 and I am planing to buy the BK Roll bar extension. Anyone here have the same concern?

I was at the Porsche factory early 1998 right after the production boxster and I suggested redesigning the roll bar. I think Porsche was concern more about the cost then safety.

porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #2

I was wondering why someone hadnt come up with a replacement roll bar that was higher and bolted to the stock mounts, seems like it would be better then an extension.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Are looking into a roll bar extension for roll over safety?
The boxster is wide, low with minimal lean on turns, unless you make a sharp turn at 60+ MPH it is momre than likely not going to flip.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #4

When I bought my Gemballa Competition wheels, the seller threw in a BK roll bar, BK fire extinguisher mount and a set of Sparco seat belts. I put the BK roll bar on just for grins and did not have any issues with my head hitting it as it sat above my stock roll bar. I'm 6'2" as well.

I ultimately sold the roll bar and fire extinguisher mount and used the Sparco seat belts in my Jeep CJ7. I'm not a track guy (yet) so I didn't think I'd ever use them. I don't worry about the roll over protection, as the stock bar seems adequate (in that my head doesn't extend above the bar).
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
I'm 6'2 and I am planing to buy the BK Roll bar extension. Anyone here have the same concern?

I was at the Porsche factory early 1998 right after the production boxster and I suggested redesigning the roll bar. I think Porsche was concern more about the cost then safety.
For track driving some, tracks and some clubs require its use. For street driving I don't worry about it.

I am only 5'11 and with the extension in place, the top of my head is flush with the bar (in overall height). Ideally, (from a racing/track perspective) the highest point of the rollbar should be at least 2" above your head. This is to help preserve your knoggin should you actually roll your car. The human head/neck combo isn't quite strong enough to hold up a 3000lb car, let alone 3,000 lbs with a lot of extra force thrown in.

That said, you will notice with the BK bar in place, that there is literally only fractions of an inch clearance for your roof to pass over. You literally run out of room putting anything "taller" into the car. My guess is that's why no one improved the current "band aid"

As for Tomshoons suggestion, my guess is that LIABILITY is the reason. Modifying the factory provided roll bar would certainly have implications in those instances where "its" failure resulted in a death.

I also think that in the early 1990s (when the boxster designs were begun) I can only think of the then "new" Mercedes SL and VW Cabrio as the only convertibles that had any factory roll over protection. The Boxsters "roll bars" spawned a heck of a lot of copycats (MB in the SLK, BMW Z roadters, Miata, Pontiac Solstice etc) to provide some kind of useful protection.

You will notice that on the 987 Porsche addressed this concern by making the rollbars taller to begin with.

My guess is that above 6'0, one would consider both the extension and an aftermarket seat that would allow you to sit lower, to provide more protection than you already have.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #6

Well, generally if you feel safer with a BK rollbar (which as far as I know is the ONLY option you have) then by all means - do it.

Just a few caveats:
a) To mount the rollbar you have to take off the existing padding on the rollhoops and the mesh grills which are sitting inside the rollhoops behind the seats.
b) Now you have to add some new (either self-made, or the ridiculously expensive BK padding which is sold seperately) padding to the existing roll hoops AND to the BK rollbar at the side facing the driver. Otherwise you run risk of injury in case you head does bounce around in case of an accident. In other words: Your car will look like you just got it all prepped up for a track day. If you enjoy that kind of attention you will get with this then great, otherwise....
When I go to the track I do all these changes the night before I go and I remove the rollbar + padding the next morning after I came back from the track.

Your top will barely open and close but you MUST close the latch which connects the top with the windshield after you opened the top. Otherwise the latch will get stuck in the rollbar when you close the top and you run the risk of serious damage to the top mechanism
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've been told that to remove the stock rollbar, you must first completely remove the top. Probably the reason no one is selling a complete replacement rollbar.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:36 AM   #8

hi folks,
thanks for all your informative response.
I am not planing to change my stock seats but I will buy BK extension. better safe then sorry.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
so you getting this for track days?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
so you getting this for track days?
permanent installation.. why do you ask?
if you are over 6, i recommend it.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Are looking into a roll bar extension for roll over safety?
The boxster is wide, low with minimal lean on turns, unless you make a sharp turn at 60+ MPH it is momre than likely not going to flip.

thus the word "accident"