Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
DJ must have aiming the new camera to the car in one hand that's why he was having hard time typing the words..hahahahahahahaha!

Hi, And I just want to hit 200 posts

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by r9i8c7k
Yes, I go out into my garage and find one of the hoods popped open all the time.
seriously the key sucks!!!! There have been times when I sit right next to my car and hold the button and it won't pick it up....diagnosis found no problem....not to mention I am close to 6'1 and not a small guy so climbing in and out does suck....especially when one of the trunks randomly opens....

well the 20K service comes in a little bit, I'll have them look at the key and the steroeo that is just horrible when it comes to reception....

other than that, give it gas and its the best investment ever all over again....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
there is a thread on ppbb.com about this....
you can extend a wire in the A pillar, a white one, and your reception will go crazy. from 15 to 62 feet

heres the thread about that
http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=1003514&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:21 AM   #24

The antenna extention mod didn't do crap for my car. Nor a buddy's car. Sucks.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 AM   #25

1) Only 3 settings for the wippers. Super slow, med and super fast! No in-between stage or dimmer type switch. Kind of stupid.

:: Fixed on 987, thankfully!

2) Sun visors don't move to the outside. Stuck in that up or down position so it doesn't interfear with the top maybe? Who knows why?

:: Not fixed on 987 and I agree, it'd be nice to be able to rotate them to the side.

3) E-Brake had to be up to put top up or down. (Fixed recently with hack thread found on this site)

:: Fixed on 987

4) Seatbelt cuts into my collar bone area.

:: You're probably too tall.

5) Alarm - Headlights flash 2 times for armed and 1 time for dis-armed. Shouldn't it be the other way around? No horn noise uless you leave your interior lights on.

:: The same on 987. Wish it would beep at me when I walk away. There's that mod chip out there that solves this problem and the other top issues though...

6) Plastic Rear Window - always worried about it cracking and splitting.

:: Fixed on 987.

7) Blind spotts when top is up and trying to see behind me when coming out of a u-turn.

:: Still there!

8) RMS Leak - Had it fixed once, worried it could still come back some day.

:: I guess there's still reports of this.

Also, the 987 rattling windstop thing seems to have been addressed with a TSB from Porsche.

So I guess you can say that Porsche is kind of aware of their deficiencies as they've managed to kill three out of eight of your issues. Just wish they'd do more!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:56 AM   #26

The way the windshield washer works irks me. It has one wipe too many after the fluid dispenses - windshield looks clear after the first couple then there's a semi-dry wipe which smears it all over again, if you have something like tree sap or bug guts on it.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #27

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
AUDIOGUY:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think my 2000 has this feature. It isn't something I use on a regular basis. I believe I was able to lower and raise the windows with the key in the lock when I had my center console torn apart, and the window buttons disconnected.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

ddb
My 1997 Boxster also has this feature.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:32 AM   #28
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
The way the windshield washer works irks me. It has one wipe too many after the fluid dispenses - windshield looks clear after the first couple then there's a semi-dry wipe which smears it all over again, if you have something like tree sap or bug guts on it.

Hi Donv, you should maybe try:

1) New wiper inserts
2) Really clean your windshield good.
3) Different washer fluid- I find that some of the fluids have a "Rain X" type additive, and this builds up on the glass, and can cause streaking
Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #29

Thanks, I keep the windshield clean and have new blades - but in my neck of the woods if you drive at night you end up with major bugs on the windshield, regardless. I can have a spot free windshield when I leave, but 15 minutes later the guts are everywhere. The windshield washer does a good job with most of it, but the stickiest ones are the problem and that extra "dry" wipe just smears them all over again. (Can see past "splats", but not so easy with smears.)

I do have some Rain-X (the "apply to windshield" version, not the washer additive) and should try that to see if it can help to keep 'em from sticking originally - then the extra wipe won't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hi Donv, you should maybe try:

1) New wiper inserts
2) Really clean your windshield good.
3) Different washer fluid- I find that some of the fluids have a "Rain X" type additive, and this builds up on the glass, and can cause streaking
Old 06-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #30

I've thought about the visor issue, too. I have to agree with bmuss and chalk it up to ownership of a convertable. Part of me also wonders how much visibility would be hampered if the visor was tilted left with the top up. I also feel that the key (as said before is waaaaayyyy too sensitive). One thing that I've found troublesome is the placement of the lighter/power sources. In the 987 (not sure in the 986) there is the outlet by the passenger's left leg/foot. Kinda awkward if you have something plugged in and are carrying a passenger.

Last edited by cfos; 06-05-2007 at 10:06 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #31

if everything was perfect there would be nothing to ******************** about, i,ve had to learn to drive again, (i also run 2 tiptronic audi's ) somehow if you learn to live with the odd annoying thing you somehow feel more at one with the vehicle, how many of your wifes are perfect? .......i,m devorcing my rear screen!!! ..lol
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #32

Everything to complain about has been fixed on the 987. The only thing I can gripe about is that cursed blind spot...but it's conducive to dropping the top every chance I get, so maybe I should be thanking Porsche.

I guess the only complain is a nasty farmer's tan and UV light exposure!
hamstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #33

The only thing that drives me CRAZY!!! is having to get out to karate chop the rear plastic window on the top when lowering. Other than that I love the car.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #34

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
1) My Box has a knob that you can adjust the wiper speed. No complaints
2) I have a hat and sunglasses for this. No complaints
3) I need to do the hack for this. So far haven't needed to put top up or down while moving, though.
4) Seatbelt fine for me. No complaints
5) My horn honks once when the alarm is armed. This is very odd, you know. Before I installed my nav system it didn't. Now the lights flash twice and the horn beeps. I'm glad it does.
6) BIG COMPLAINT!!! You guys know my window split. Well the glue that's been holding the crack together melts in the heat so I broke down and have an appointment next week to have a new top put on with a glass window.
7) Yes, big blind spots, but I drive with my top down 90% of the time. No complaints
8) *knocks on wood furiously regarding no RMS*

As for the other complaints I've read I haven't experienced any. My windstop is tight, I'm 5'7" and I fit well in the car. I actually have nary a complaint about my Boxster. I love that car and it's perfect.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i kinda hate how a lot of stuff creeks and rattles...but w top down i dont notice any of that.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycool
how many of your wifes are perfect?
Wasn't even in the race, that's why I have the Boxster now instead!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
1) My Box has a knob that you can adjust the wiper speed. No complaints
2) I have a hat and sunglasses for this. No complaints
3) I need to do the hack for this. So far haven't needed to put top up or down while moving, though.
4) Seatbelt fine for me. No complaints
5) My horn honks once when the alarm is armed. This is very odd, you know. Before I installed my nav system it didn't. Now the lights flash twice and the horn beeps. I'm glad it does.
6) BIG COMPLAINT!!! You guys know my window split. Well the glue that's been holding the crack together melts in the heat so I broke down and have an appointment next week to have a new top put on with a glass window.
7) Yes, big blind spots, but I drive with my top down 90% of the time. No complaints
8) *knocks on wood furiously regarding no RMS*

As for the other complaints I've read I haven't experienced any. My windstop is tight, I'm 5'7" and I fit well in the car. I actually have nary a complaint about my Boxster. I love that car and it's perfect.

Chills, the S models have a knob for controlling the speed of the intermittent wipers. (wish someone would come up with a haxxor for it!)

What brand top are you going with? If you can, please let me know... I'll be looking to do this in the next two or three months (if OT provides for it). Not sure if I'll do the top install myself, or defer to a pro.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #38

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Chills, the S models have a knob for controlling the speed of the intermittent wipers. (wish someone would come up with a haxxor for it!)

What brand top are you going with? If you can, please let me know... I'll be looking to do this in the next two or three months (if OT provides for it). Not sure if I'll do the top install myself, or defer to a pro.

I see, I didn't know the base models didn't have the knob.

I'm not exactly sure which top I'm getting. There's a shop here in Chi-land called Riggs Brothers and they are putting it on. They've got a good warranty for their work and they're close to me. $1500 is what it'll set me back.

I thought about doing it myself, but I think it's a bit over my head.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #39
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
FrayAdjacent,

I recently added the knob for variable wiper speed. It is a very easy mod and fills an unused hole in the dash. I bought the part from eBay. If you have a problem finding the part I will help you find one.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
FrayAdjacent,

I recently added the knob for variable wiper speed. It is a very easy mod and fills an unused hole in the dash. I bought the part from eBay. If you have a problem finding the part I will help you find one.

ddb
Hi ddb, I would be interested in the variable wiper speed Knob if it would function on my 1997, searched on eBay and couldn't find anything, I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Franco

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual

Last edited by Franco; 06-06-2007 at 03:55 AM.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote