Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
FrayAdjacent,

I recently added the knob for variable wiper speed. It is a very easy mod and fills an unused hole in the dash. I bought the part from eBay. If you have a problem finding the part I will help you find one.

ddb

That would be pretty slick. Since the Box is my daily driver, I'd love to be able to set the speed of the intermittent wipers. If it's as easy as plugging in the switch there... SWEET!

I'll look on Ebay, but it looks like Franco already did and didn't find anything.

CHILLS,

If you can, find out, it's probably either Robbins or GAHH. Get pics and let me know how it turns out!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
The only thing that drives me CRAZY!!! is having to get out to karate chop the rear plastic window on the top when lowering. Other than that I love the car.

I agree. The "chop" is the only thing that I have found that bothers me.

Edit: OK, one more thing: The cheap plastic pieces in the interior that chipped up and looks like it belongs in a $5,000 econobox, not in a ~ $55,000 (when new) Porsche.
It gave me an excuse to recover most of my pieces in leather though, so I guess it's not that bad .

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:57 AM   #43

Two Things

The cup holders on the 2002! Has anyone found a cup that fits in these things? The only things I can find that fit are those small Red Bull cans and I don't drink the stuff. Also, it seems that a lot of the internals especially around the head lights are made with very brittle plastic. I've had several things break with just the slightest amount of pressure.
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
FrayAdjacent,

I recently added the knob for variable wiper speed. It is a very easy mod and fills an unused hole in the dash. I bought the part from eBay. If you have a problem finding the part I will help you find one.

ddb

This was the main reason I started this post, I wanted to see if any of these issues were resolved by the owners on their own. Now can someone tell us where we can get the variable wipper speed knob? I would want to switch mine for the upgrade. Anyplace else other than e-bay? Will the Boxster S knob that seems to have this device work on a base model?
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blue
The cup holders on the 2002! Has anyone found a cup that fits in these things? The only things I can find that fit are those small Red Bull cans and I don't drink the stuff. Also, it seems that a lot of the internals especially around the head lights are made with very brittle plastic. I've had several things break with just the slightest amount of pressure.
It took me awhile but I found that the metal thermos cups with the wide tops and very narrow bottoms fit quite nicely into the cup holders. I wouldn't do any "spirited" cornering but for regular highway driving, it works well.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #46

Cup Holders

Thanks, I agree with the German concept that you're suppose to be driving and not drinking something. I rarely listen to my radio the engine is music to my ears, but there are just some times that a soda or cup of coffee would be nice to drink driving back from a Sunday drive.
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #47
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Guys,

The reason you couldn't find the variable speed switch on eBay is because the seller is closed through June. Check out the link.

http://stores.ebay.com/Europa-Auto-Parts

I purchased the wiper speed switch as well as the dash mounted spoiler switch from this vendor. My main motivation was just to use some of the blanks in the dash. I have the spoiler position indicator light to go in the last blank hole but haven't yet installed it.

I believe I read somewhere the wiper switch may be available from a VW or Audi dealer. I didn't investigate so I don't know any particulars.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #48

Thanks! That fits in their perfectly. Looks complete now. I can now cross this one complaint off my list.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
It gave me an excuse to recover most of my pieces in leather though, so I guess it's not that bad .
Any chance of seeing some pics???
Old 06-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #50

DDB, if you can, pull it out and see if there's a part number on the switch? That could help greatly!

Rob,

My interior pieces are peeling, too. It's rather disappointing since it's a high dollar car. It's not tough to resolve, though. I may check with an upholsterer about covering a few of the bits in leather later this year.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #51
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
FA,

I saved the packaging for the potentiometer with the installation manual. The part number is: 99661311500A02. The packaging describes the part as a Wiper Control.

You also need a relay, wiring harness, splices & tie raps.

My guess is you can save money by buying these parts individually, but I chose to go the simple route and buy the kit which came with everything needed including instructions.

BTW, I haven't wired my wiper or spoiler switch to light up when the lights are switched on. It wasn't obvious which wires to use when I installed the switches and I didn't have time to figure it out. If anyone has done this and has any advice please pass it on.

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
stock turbo engine and i would forget them for everything else that sucks on this car
Great photography DJ. You have a gift.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #53
boxsterz

--Rear view visibility is horrendous and blind spots. Backing up I could easily run over a toddler and not know it.

--Spongy feel of the turn signal and wiper stalks. Should be more like an old BMW or even an old VW air cooler that had a buttery positive feel of a pistol trigger.

-- Needs a rotary fan speed dial, goes from zero to full with a quick turn.

---Most annoying besides the "chop", with HVAC on "manuell", the A/C will cycle if it can. It seems I cannot get ambient air through the vents without the A/C kicking on at some point.