Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #1

Interested in a couple different 986's - advice needed

I am definitely not new to the Porsche scene, as I have owned 6 different Porsches in the past (2-914, 3-911, and 1-986). I've owned a 2003 Seal Grey S with tip, but it just didn't do it for me. I think it was the tip. Now, I am looking at getting another 986. I would like to get some advice/opinions on these two different cars:

2001 standard white ext/blue int with 30,000 miles. PSM, 17" wheels, Kumhos, heated seats, 6 disc CD, no M030. Car is perfect in and out. Local to Seattle area. Asking $24,000.

2002 S speed yellow ext/black int with 88,000 miles. No PSM, 18" sport design wheels, heated seats, 6 disc CD, no M030. Car is nice, but not perfect. Originally a CA car, now in Oregon. Asking $21,000.

Looking for input on PSM or not, S or not, mileage differences, color, importance of condition, etc.

I've also considered a 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster; any input would on this car would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.

Scooter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #2

I'd say if you didn't go with another S, you might be a little disappointed in the engine performance, although a car with less miles might be more appealing.

Will it be a daily driver? If so, I'd go with the lower mileage car. Weekend or fun/track car? Get the S. (of course, if either one you choose passes a PPI)

I have driven a Z4 (not the M), and it was fun, and pretty quick. Handled very well, and I liked the way the brakes felt. I bring up this car, because it's notably more stiff than the Z3. Test driving one couldn't hurt, tho.

As for the PSM, my Boxster doesn't have it, and I haven't driven one that does, so I couldn't comment. Might come into the decision depending on your intended use of the vehicle.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
There is a guy on this board who is selling a 2001 S manual with only 54K miles in the classified section, and for only around $20K. With the money you save, fly out to the east, and drive the car home while taking a nice road trip at the same time.

$24K for a base 01 is too much. JMHO.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #4

I will use the car as a daily driver and spirited drives on the weekend. During the summer months I will take the car on longer spirited drives on over night weekends. PSM may be nice in the wet Northwest, but I am not sure if it is necessary.

I've driven a 2.3 Z3 and a 2.5 Z4, but not the M roadster. What is appealing about the Z3/Z4 is that I don't think I would modify a BMW as much as I would a 986 (i.e., headlights, brake lights, suspension, etc.) I consider myself a Porsche guy, so a switch to a BMW would be difficult, but not impossible.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #5

If you've had an S then you have to buy another S. Forget the Z3, if you must do the BMW go with the Z4. But a Boxster S is your better choice. As to price, you have to shop around and see what the market is. I checked all the major car websites and had a really good idea of what value was before I bought my 2000 S.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #6

I've researched quite a bit on price. I've seen prices all over the spectrum, but it really comes down to condition. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for most of the time. Once in a while you will come across the deal of the century.

The 2002 S I mentioned above seems to be a good price, but I am not sure about a 986 with 88,000 miles. Of course a PPI is a must, but still, 88,000 is high for a 986. However, it could go well beyond 200,000 if properly maintained...no one knows.

Anybody an absolute firm believer in PSM? Or is the 986 just so darn balanced that PSM is unnecessary?

I've always liked speed yellow and white is nice on a 986.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #7

I have a 2002 S and Psm, and I think it's great. You can tujrn it off by pushing a button, and if you are on anything slippery its great.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #8

I understand what PSM is and what the benefits are, but is it a deal breaker? Should I go with a non S with PSM, instead of an S without PSM. BTW the non S is extremely clean; like it just came of the showroom clean. The S is nice, but has a lot of miles.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:26 AM   #9

On the Tail of the Dragon roadtrip at the beginning of the month, I broke the back end loose a couple of times in sharp curves in the rain. I was behind Mantis and saw his back end slide a couple times too. I saw the PSM light flash as it kicked in and I know it saved me from myself at least once. I know there were other guys who didn't have PSM and no one slid off the road, so you can certainly live without it, but I found it reassuring to know it was there.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:42 AM   #10

Boxstaboy may be on to something mentioning WVAviator's car in the classified section. It's a really nice color combination and priced right, for an S. If you didn't want to drive it back, a shipper would bring it to you for about a grand, and you'd still be a couple thousand ahead of the game.

I've never driven a Z4, but to me, their styling is clumsy. Where I live, they're also very common. That's not the case with the Porsche.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:01 AM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Boxstaboy may be on to something mentioning WVAviator's car in the classified section. It's a really nice color combination and priced right, for an S. If you didn't want to drive it back, a shipper would bring it to you for about a grand, and you'd still be a couple thousand ahead of the game.

I've never driven a Z4, but to me, their styling is clumsy. Where I live, they're also very common. That's not the case with the Porsche.
Not to mention the special boxster red interior was a full leather gift- not the vinyl dash and door panels that most Boxsters come with. It truly is a great deal, and I'd buy it myself if I wasn't so lazy. The Boxster S he's looking at IMO, has too many miles, and at 88K miles, will prob. need a 90K major service soon. Yes, there are many folks with higher mileage boxsters, and that's great, but in all honesty, that's also the mileage point where things start to go out, like interior dash bulbs needing to be replaced, clutches starting to wear out, suspension starting to wear out, alternators/starters, a/c units, brake rotors, you name it.

As for the base 986 he's looking at, it is priced too high, comes with 17-inch wheels/cheap Kumhos, and white also isn't a particularly sought after color. I don't get it...can't be only 2 Boxsters in his entire state available for sale.

As for the BMW's, personally, I can't get over the ronald mcdonald clown shoe side profile of the car...long nose/short butt look.

As for PSM, I think it is a great thing to have, as it can really save your butt in a sticky situation. That being said, however, my car doesn't have PSM, and I've never swapped ends so far, and yet still enjoy the heck out of my car. You just need to be aware that you don't have the extra safety feature, and must drive accordingly.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #12

I saw the 2001 S in WV. I am just not a fan of red interior and I would like another color than seal grey, so although it has the features I want, it just won't work for me. I picked my '70 911 up in Ohio last year and drove it cross county to Seattle via the long southern route. It was a blast and I would definitely do it again for the right car, but this one is just not it.

There are more than two 986's for sale in Washington, but I narrowed it down to two for my questions here. I am open to other cars and purchasing outside the state, if the right car comes along. There was a 2001 speed yellow S from CA advertised on 986forum last month that I would buy, but he never responded to my PM. So, what I am saying is that these two cars are just the best examples at this time, but they are not the only cars I am interested in. Any other leads will be greatly appreciated.

As far as S vs. non S. I had an S and I really liked the power and the brakes. Since then, I have only driven the non S and I also like the power and the brakes. I mosly like the 986 for the cornering ability, but do you guys really think I will be disappointed with the non S power? I know the overall consensus is that the S is prefered. As far as suspension, I plan on installing PSS9's on any car a purchase. As for brakes, is there fade or any other problems with non S brakes?

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #13

Sorry to bump this to the top if nobody else is interested, but I really would like some more constructive advice from anybody who is willing.

It sounds like the advice so far is buy an S, even if it does not have PSM...is this correct?

I found a 2001 S with 55,000 miles that is CPO for $26,000 from a Porsche dealership, but I would really need to get it for a couple thousand less to fit my budget. Not sure yet if it has PSM or not. It is forest green in color with black interior.

I still like the white/blue prestine 2001 non-S with 31,000 and PSM. They are asking $24,000, but I would hope to get it for $22,000. It is at a private dealership. Should I just forget the non-S? If not, what do you think the chances of a dealership coming off the price by $2,000?

Thanks again for any advice.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #14

Well, I just found out the green car sold. I am finding that the 986 market is somewhat shallow right now.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #15

check the Porsche Club of America classifieds.

I wasn't so concerned with the year as much as the mileage.
Found one with barely 10K miles, but even though I looked at newer S models
with much higher mileage I went with the lowest mileage.
I think if you put at least 10K miles on the clock a year, you want to avoid a car with high miles.

After 30K miles I've only had one repair over a $100. Purty good....
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #16

So, would you take a low mileage non-S over a slightly higher mileage S? Or is it S or nothing?

I am re-thinking the seal Grey/Red on the classifieds. Talked to the owner this morning and he seems like a great guy. The car is what I am looking for, except for the color combo. Mileage is 55,000 or so.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #17

Smile

I would drive an S and the M back to back.

Pick the one that floats your boat!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter986
I am re-thinking the seal Grey/Red on the classifieds. Talked to the owner this morning and he seems like a great guy. The car is what I am looking for, except for the color combo. Mileage is 55,000 or so.
Do I get a commision?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter986
So, would you take a low mileage non-S over a slightly higher mileage S? Or is it S or nothing?

if its slight mileage difference, no I wouldn't pass up on the S.
It would cost you a pretty penny to up the power in standard Boxster.
With these cars and power mods, a whole lotta money doesn't get you very much. Historically, and considering over a 1million Porsche have been sold, there simply haven't been a ton of Porsches with more than 3.0 engines.

I might also try to find one will less than 50K miles, even if it meant travelling to another city. Well worth the trip in my opinion.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote