Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
A Few Questions

Okay,
I am new to boxsters (one month owner), and I have a few questions. I have a used '99 Ocean Blue Boxster with almost 18k miles. My questions are:
Can you add Traction Control? (Maybe stupid but worth asking; isn't all a computer program)
Any tips for treating the top? How does Renovo cleaner, ultra proofer, and vinyl window cleaner work?
Is it normal to hear some movement when driving over bumps, like the convertible top shifting while closed?
Is the plate under the rear, supposed to be bent over the rear anti-swat bar? (mine is bent into a v-shape to go under the rear axle sway-bar?
How do I know if the previous owner installed a short shifter?
Any tips for a new owner?

Thanks!

rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Any tips for treating the top?

Raggtop Top Cleaner for the top, followed w/ a lint roller to clean up after your done washing the car. Now as for the plastic window, find Plexus,I've used w/ great results everytime and I haven't seen it do anything I would warn others about.

Is the plate under the rear, supposed to be bent over the rear anti-swat bar? (mine is bent into a v-shape to go under the rear axle sway-bar?

This is what it's supposed to looks like;
http://www.renntech.org/forums/uploads/post-2-1116527104_thumb.jpg

How do I know if the previous owner installed a short shifter?

Are the shifts short & notchy or long & smooth?

Any tips for a new owner?

Have fun w/ your new toy!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The shifts are short and kind of knotchy, does that mean it has a short shifter.
The rear plate is not like that, I will get a pic soon. The guy at the Porsche dealer said that the older ones, it's a '99, come down like mine, but I am not sure about that.

Last edited by rick3000; 05-14-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #4

The shifts are short and kind of knotchy, does that mean it has a short shifter.

Hmm well it's hard to tell w/o feeling or seeing a pic of the shifter assembly. Is it possible for you to lift up the shift boot and take a pic for us? The one thing I noticed w/ the SSK is that you can almost hear the shifter 'hit a wall' when shifting from 2nd-3rd,which my OEM super long throw shifter never made.

The rear plate is not like that, I will get a pic soon. The guy at the Porsche dealer said that the older ones, it's a '99, come down like mine, but I am not sure about that.

Yeah you should probably take a pic,I have a 99' and mine looks like that. We will let you know if the dealer is pulling a quick one on you........cause if they are...... :troll:
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I'll get a pic up tomorrow, also one more question. My radio on/off button is peeling, I have an after-market warranty. If it is not covered how can I fix it?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Here are the pic's of the rear plate. You can see the bar and the plate bent around it.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Here are the pic's of the rear plate. You can see the bar and the plate bent around it.
What in the world? I've been underneath a few Boxsters and have never seen a plate bent like that.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 05-14-2007 at 09:35 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #8

By the looks of your pic, it seems as if your boxster is messed up. Possibly a serious accident or maybe the previous owner did some major modifications to the car. I'd look into the history if I were you.
batmanboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 AM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That sucks, I got a free CarFax report with the car when I bought it, it didn't say anything, neither did the mechanic. I didn't notice this until a week ago. Any recommendations on where I can do a free vin report.

Last edited by rick3000; 05-15-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 AM   #10

From your pictures I can tell you with no doubt that your car is messed up. It was either in a serious accident or a major A-hole did work on that car.

That Triangular plate under the rear is an integral component of your rear suspension and acts to add rigidity to the rear of the car. It is not supposed to be bent around the sway bar. It does have a long channel opening for the sway bar to fit into and show through a little bit. The car must never be driven without this plate or with a damaged plate.

Last edited by 2000SoCalBoxsterS; 05-15-2007 at 05:23 AM.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:23 AM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I already did, look a few post down.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:25 AM   #12

SoCal's right; that shear plate is actually a stressed member. it looks like someone backed over something and bent the cradle back, folding the shear plate in the process. get it fixed ASAP. probably just need a new cradle and a new shear plate. you can pick them up from a used boxster and have them installed fairly cheaply.

as for your question about adding traction control: the non T/C cars only have three channel ABS (two front, one rear). the T/C cars have four channel ABS so they can modulate each rear wheel individually. while theoretically possible, you'd have to switch out your ABS unit and plumb a dedicated brake channel to each rear. this is cost prohibitive.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:30 AM   #13

In the photos it looks like the plate is welded to that rear support brace. Is that true? The plate is supposed to be flat and attaches under the car by several stud bolts that come down from the bottom of the car into the plate and then nuts are screwed on and also by several bolts that screw up into the underside of the car. I just removed and replaced this plate on my friends '99 Boxster when we needed access to his auto trans to replace a defective switch. On your car it is just put on all wrong.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:37 AM   #14

My Boxster S has traction control and I drive with it turned off most of the time for better performance off the line when I'm "hot-dogging" around town. The traction control will kick-in on fast acceleration to limit torque to the rear wheels. It's more fun to get a little wheel spin and faster off-the-line performance. I wouldn't bother adding it if I were you. Just slow it down in the rain and snow. I started driving in 1974 and my first car was a '73 Javelin with a 360 CID V8, and here in the northeast we get plenty of rain and snow and I never needed no stinking Traction control! We actually knew how to drive back in those days. Luke, turn off the computer and use the Force.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #15

That definitly looks to be damage, likely I'm guessing from running over a curb or debris. Get it looked at ASAP.

Now a question on ABS, are you saying my 02 S without PSM only has 3 channel ABS?

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #16
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks, I appreciate the help, obviously the guy at Porsche doesn't know his stuff, because he was wrong. I will take it in and hopefully the warranty will cover it, it wasn't me and since it does affect the rigidy if the car they should take care of it. If the warranty people are jerks, can I replace it myself. Any ideas on cost?

The carfax I got with the car never mentioned an accident. So is it lying and I should be worried about anything else being wrong, or did the previous owner just drive over something? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by rick3000; 05-15-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #17

Smile

A couple of points.

Please take your Porsche to a dealer service bay and see what is up with the underside, it is clearly in need of some professional attention. I would do it today.

Then, if the car has been severely damaged, ask you lawyer what you might be able to sue your mechanic for. I have a feeling the repair bill on this one COULD be very high indeed.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 AM   #18
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I edited my last post please check it out, and I will keep you guys posted. I may be able to go by Porsche tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #19

It should have been obvious that that plate is bent. You can see the bend on the edge... no factory would shape a part like THAT.

Hopefully it's just that plate, and can be replaced quickly and easily. Keep us updated!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I will take it in and hopefully the warranty will cover it, it wasn't me and since it does affect the rigidy if the car they should take care of it. If the warranty people are jerks, can I replace it myself. Any ideas on cost? Does anyone have the part number?

The carfax I got with the car never mentioned an accident. So is it lying and I should be worried about anything else being wrong, or did the previous owner just drive over something? Any ideas?

Thanks, I reposted this from an edit, so everyone would see.