Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #1

Boxster buyer needs help

Hello all. I am still swooning from the test drive I just took in a new Boxster and have decided that I deserve one for my birthday in June. Since I need a bigger car for work, this will be the "fun car". My current fun car is a 1999 Miata with 13,000 miles which seriously looks like the day it was made. I have some questions and need your valued opinions. First is New or Used? I have actually never bought a used car, but some of the posts here have gotten me thinking. I will probably keep the car forever, as I can't imagine how I would ever improve on it. Should I search for a "garage queen" like my Miata or just bite the bullet and get a new one? Do you recommend a CPO over one I'd find private party or on a non-Porsche lot? Also, what is a PPI ? As you can see, my mind is reeling, plus the issue of selling my current baby. Any thoughts you have will be helpful. BTW, I visit a few different forums for watches and motorcycles and you have a very nice group here from what I've read.

Thanks, Mike

MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #2

As someone who made the transition from a Miata, I think I understand your perspective.

I bought a 2000 base Boxster with a little under 30k on it last April for $21,250. I bought from a private seller and have been pleased with the car. My Miata was higher mileage (125k) and older (94) than yours. So, the car seemed like a significant upgrade to me in terms of overall condition. In your case, you might need to buy something a little newer in order to feel the same level of enhancement that I felt.

If you can afford a new Boxster, that would be the best choice, but depreciation is kind of shocking in dollar terms. (It's probably the same percentage as on a Miata - maybe lower - but you are starting at around $50k or more instead of $24k.) However, a Boxster is just going to need more repair than a Miata, and they are more expensive to fix. So, a used car will present you with some noticeable repair bills even if it is a garage queen.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #3

If you could AFFORD a new Boxster... I'd say look at one that's a year old or so. Likely they'll have VERY low miles and be in immaculate condition... but will have depreciated THOUSANDS of dollars. Plus it will still have the warranty. Better yet if you find a CPO from a dealer.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #4

PPI = Pre purchase inspection.

Drive the 986 style and 987 style - see which you like better. As many will tell you, there are plenty out there and if you are patient you can find a good one just like you want.

CPO is nice - you can also opt for 3rd party warranties if you like.
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:37 AM   #5

I'm in the same boat. I have a yellow 2002 SE Miata and test drove a 2007 Boxster yesterday. I thought I would never sell the miata but I was thrilled by the Boxster. I am now going to sell the miata and can hardly wait until I get the Boxster, the Porsche is so refined and safe feeling I couldn't believe the difference. I am in Canada so the prices are higher but I will be buying in the States and bringing her back.
realestateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #6

Homeseller ... make sure the Box you're looking at in the US has space on the wiring loom to take the DLR relay. I wanted to add DLRs to my US spec, '01, Boxster-S and bought the relay: but there's no wiring for it.

Real shocker that Porsche would fiddle around and not add to the buss on every car. For those who don't know - and think everything we do is better: Canadians have additional auto safety standards that exceed ours - but we can't buy their pills..

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #7

Since it is your intention to keep the Boxster forever I think you should definately go new. First of all if you get the 07 'S' model you will get the bigger 3.4 liter engine (295hp). Also, you shouldn't be worried as much about depreciation if you never plan to resell the car.

But most importantly, if you buy new you can get exactly what you want. Don't compromise and you will never regret your purchase.

You will love the Boxster it is a wonderful car. Also, get involved in the Porsche community, join your local PCA - you will meet great people with a common interest.

Good Luck!

If you do order, there are a number of posts regarding what are the best options to get, I would look at those.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:11 AM   #8

I would suggest going with used. Why waste thousands of $$$? Let the previous owner eat the depreciation. Look around, there are lots of low mileage Boxsters out there. A couple of months ago my local dealer had a CPO Guards Red '05 S with 4800 (not 48K) miles on it - it made me stop and think. With the CPO, the warranty is good thru '11. I'm sure AutoTrader or Cars.com have dozens just like it. Or you might want to look at new left over '06s. The dealers will make some sweet deals on them.

Figure out what color(s) you want and the "must have" options. Then see what's out there. It doesn't hurt to look. Who knows, you may find the car of your dreams and save $10-$15K.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetstuff
Homeseller ... make sure the Box you're looking at in the US has space on the wiring loom to take the DLR relay. I wanted to add DLRs to my US spec, '01, Boxster-S and bought the relay: but there's no wiring for it.

Real shocker that Porsche would fiddle around and not add to the buss on every car. For those who don't know - and think everything we do is better: Canadians have additional auto safety standards that exceed ours - but we can't buy their pills..

Jim
Hmm, I just had an '02 S imported and the dealer added the DRL's with no problem.
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhamr
Congrats on the change. I'm in Innisfil and always looking for locals as there is not many Canucks on this board.

Hi Darkhamr, I'm up in Midhurst, just north of Barrie. I talked to a couple of dealers in the US- one in Dallas and in Virginia mentioned in various forums and pricing seems very favorable to say the least. Will probably buy next winter for spring delivery. Will enjoy the road trip back and will take off for a week. I am going to do more pricing research before I take the plunge.
realestateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA
Hello all. I am still swooning from the test drive I just took in a new Boxster and have decided that I deserve one for my birthday in June. Since I need a bigger car for work, this will be the "fun car". My current fun car is a 1999 Miata with 13,000 miles which seriously looks like the day it was made. I have some questions and need your valued opinions. First is New or Used? I have actually never bought a used car, but some of the posts here have gotten me thinking. I will probably keep the car forever, as I can't imagine how I would ever improve on it. Should I search for a "garage queen" like my Miata or just bite the bullet and get a new one? Do you recommend a CPO over one I'd find private party or on a non-Porsche lot? Also, what is a PPI ? As you can see, my mind is reeling, plus the issue of selling my current baby. Any thoughts you have will be helpful. BTW, I visit a few different forums for watches and motorcycles and you have a very nice group here from what I've read.

Thanks, Mike

Hmmmm... you have never bought used and you plan to keep it forever? Your Miata is a "Garage Queen"? I would say you will likely be happier buying new
so the car is pristine and you can keep it that way (if you like). Warranty is 4 years now, bumper-to-bumper, so lots of peace of mind. If you want an "S" then definitely buy new rather than an 05 or 06 IF you value the new 3.4L. I drove an 06 before I bought the 07 S and I have no regrets.

I tend to make Garage Queens out of my cars. I promised myself I would drive my new Boxster in the rain but I have had it 2 months now and can't bring myself to do it....silly. On the flip side, if I had bought used maybe I would take it out in the rain!
Middle Age Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 PM   #12

if you can afford the new boxster, get the new one- the newer it is the less problems you'll have, besides i think everyone wants to drive in the newest car they can afford. on the other hand buying a new 2008 porsche from the dealer is probably a waste of money becaause of depreciation and well theres a reason we call dealerships stealerships lol- in which case i would look for a 2006,2007 from a private party and save a few grand. but it all really depends on how much money you have and are willing to spend on this car.
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #13

buy used .......then mod it! if ya buy new you may have an angina attack every time you find the next microscopic imperfection.....either way buy one to USE!!!!, if ya want to look at it just buy a picture of one
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #14

Buy a boxster S if you can, I just think they're fun! I smile every time I drive mine!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Since it is your intention to keep the Boxster forever I think you should definately go new. First of all if you get the 07 'S' model you will get the bigger 3.4 liter engine (295hp). Also, you shouldn't be worried as much about depreciation if you never plan to resell the car.

But most importantly, if you buy new you can get exactly what you want. Don't compromise and you will never regret your purchase.
I normally say buy used when it comes to buying a car, but I completely agree with drburton on this. And if it's forever, you really should get it exactly how you want it.

Enjoy it!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #16

very few cars are kept forever! the forever that you refer to is usually the "FOREVER" that you use in conquering your first love !?!
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #17

Just my thoughts... never buy a new car unless you enjoy wasting money or are filthy rich. Being able to "afford" something means paying cash with minimal impact to lifestyle. Being able to make payments means incurring debt for luxury.

I recommend shopping for someone who very recently bought an 05-06 but can't keep the car (e.g. buying a house, baby on the way, etc)--there are lots of second hands with over 3 years/40K miles on the warranty. Keep in mind the base price of a Boxster S is $55,500 with a dealer invoice of $48,400...the moment that car leaves the lot, it's only worth the invoice price.

Option it out yourself. A dealer upgrade to Carrera Classic rims costs $2K; even so, once you drive it off the lot, the car's value is virtually identical to one with stock rims. On the other hand, you could easily get a set off the private market for $1K and sell your old rims for $700. You will also find you like a lot of non-OEM upgrades, body work, etc.
hamstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #18
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I bought my boxster used with 17k miles for $20k. The car originally sold for $57k. You can save a lot of $$$ if you go with a used car. The second it is off the lot the value decreases 20-30%. It is up to you but a low miles used car will save some cash, but take it to a good mechanic first.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #19

Another strategy

With Boxster sales being so slow that local dealers have many 2006 leftovers (they're eager to push those out at a minimum of 10% off list) you may find similar deals on 2007s that are well optioned. Last fall I ordered a 2007 S for December delivery at 9% off. If you don't mind waiting , August is traditionally a good month to negiotiate since 2008s are being ordered. That way you can get the 3.4 in a 2007 at a hefty discount.

raddoc is offline   Reply With Quote