View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
KevinH1990

As someone who made the transition from a Miata, I think I understand your perspective.

I bought a 2000 base Boxster with a little under 30k on it last April for $21,250. I bought from a private seller and have been pleased with the car. My Miata was higher mileage (125k) and older (94) than yours. So, the car seemed like a significant upgrade to me in terms of overall condition. In your case, you might need to buy something a little newer in order to feel the same level of enhancement that I felt.

If you can afford a new Boxster, that would be the best choice, but depreciation is kind of shocking in dollar terms. (It's probably the same percentage as on a Miata - maybe lower - but you are starting at around $50k or more instead of $24k.) However, a Boxster is just going to need more repair than a Miata, and they are more expensive to fix. So, a used car will present you with some noticeable repair bills even if it is a garage queen.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote