Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #1

Question Wheel Cleaner?

Cleaned one wheel today. It took quite awhile to get the black mess off the inside of the wheel along with the tar spots and left over stickum from wheel weights. I used Gunk, Orange Hand Cleaner, Bug&Tar remover and dish detergent along with assorted brushes and rags. Still not ready to wax but 99% better than it was. Do any of you have a magic potent that removes the bespoke junk rapidly or am I doomed to spray and rub..????

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #2

Use any of the major brand wheel cleaners and a wheel cleaner brush. Spray wheel cleaner onto a cool dry wheel. Wait a few minutes, scrub with brush and hose off. It's funny how in the owners manual under car care & cleaning Porsche makes a point of saying that the wheel finish can be damaged if you don't use a cleaner with the correct PH, but they neglect to say what the correct PH is? I guess they want to keep you in the dark so you have to go to the dealer and buy there special cleaner with the secret correct PH.

I've used several of the major brands and no problem with my wheels special finish. I guess they all have the correct PH.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
bmussatti

I wash my wheels with soap (Zaino Z7) and hot water. The trick is to get them really clean, and then use a good wax product like ReJex. The dirt just rolls off.

I use a couple Q-Tips, doubled-up, dipped in wheel cleaner to clean the dirty area around the wheel bolts.

A great cleaning solution for really dirty wheels is Wurth Citrus Degreaser, cut to about 20% with distilled water, is a spray bottle.

After washing, use the leaf blower to dry the wheels and to blow out the dirty water from the cross drilled rotors.

It takes me about as much time to wash my wheels as is does the whole body.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #4

+ 1 bmuss...

It takes me as long to wash the wheels as it does the entire car...

And, I always end up cutting my knuckles on the brake rotors in the process

But, they sure do look nice when they're clean

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )

Last edited by NickCats; 05-24-2007 at 08:03 AM.
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
+ 1 bmuss...

It takes me as long to wash the wheels as it does the entire car...

And, I always end up cutting my knuckles on the brake rotors in the process

But, they sure do look nice when they're clean

Nick

Nick I have 2 words for you...RUBBER GLOVES.

I can give you a box the next time I see you.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #6

There are two standouts I have used. I mean VERY potent.

Meguiar's Wheel Brightener from their Pro Line. Has to be ordered from the website they don't trust it to be sold over the counter.

The other is Poorboysworld.com Wheel Cleaner which I use to clean the barrel of the wheel.
I dilute it with water spray the inside of the barrel let it sit while I scrub the tires.
Go back after five minutes with a spoke brush and its stripped bare to the paint in minutes. Tar needs a proper tar remover, that stuff dries like cement.

P21s Gel spray is good too and idiot proof.

p.s.
I washed my tires with some over the counter car wash soap Turtle Wax Ice Car Wash Soap(?) which was on sale at Target. When the tires dried they had a nice dark look. Think they put in some additive. Target has some nice Vroom line of wash mits,brushes and a handy bucket that has a flat side to make dumping water easier.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote