Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 01:19 AM   #41

Someone needs to design a long-tube Boxster exhaust that uses small muffler cans. Instead of entering the U-pipes and going straight into the muffler, the exhaust needs to be routed to the opposite side of the muffler. Example, the left bank's exhaust would enter the right side of the muffler and vice versa. This would effectively add length to the pipes and reduce or completely eliminate the droning. The two cross pipes could be routed directly behind the tips and the muffler cans could be about the size of a GHL exhaust's.

^^ Does that even make sense? It's late.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell!
Someone needs to design a long-tube Boxster exhaust that uses small muffler cans. Instead of entering the U-pipes and going straight into the muffler, the exhaust needs to be routed to the opposite side of the muffler. Example, the left bank's exhaust would enter the right side of the muffler and vice versa. This would effectively add length to the pipes and reduce or completely eliminate the droning. The two cross pipes could be routed directly behind the tips and the muffler cans could be about the size of a GHL exhaust's.

^^ Does that even make sense? It's late.
Yes, it does make sense, and I suspect it would help. We had plans to do this, but never got around to finding the time.

By our calculations we needed something like 6' of exhaust length (per side!) to kill the drone.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 AM   #43

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Based on my experience with exhaust engineering and designs, the extra piping length post header/manifold will help slightly for "drone-prone" systems. More influence can come from the proper tuned length of the header manifold exiting the exhaust ports of the engine.
I may have found a system design that works well with the factory exhaust header manifold, but I am not done testing my prpototype to fully confirm this result. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisimoto
Based on my experience with exhaust engineering and designs, the extra piping length post header/manifold will help slightly for "drone-prone" systems. More influence can come from the proper tuned length of the header manifold exiting the exhaust ports of the engine.
I may have found a system design that works well with the factory exhaust header manifold, but I am not done testing my prpototype to fully confirm this result. I will keep everyone posted.
I am interested - assuming you can make something drone-free that does not alter the piping until after the last catalyst. Because of the restrictive rules that I compete under, we are not allowed to touch any exhaust parts before the last cat.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #45

Gary,

I have 2001 2.7 986.
Since I don't care much for drone, I want to straight pipe my Boxster as you did. Do you know where I can get this done and how much this would cost me?
Thanks,

Mario
mcajic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 PM   #46

removing the giant stock muffler and just running simple straight pipe to the dual 996 rear bumper...would that actually add any power? Since the stock muffler is a 65lbs giant box?

haste is offline   Reply With Quote