Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Strut Braces & Install

Where are you guys all buying your strut braces from? Links would be appreciated. Care to give a review of it?

If I were to install these strut braces would it increase the rattling of random crap in the car?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Where are you guys all buying your strut braces from? Links would be appreciated. Care to give a review of it?

If I were to install these strut braces would it increase the rattling of random crap in the car?
This is where I went. This is the special they are offering I guess now. I will be installing this weekend. My car does rattle a little now, I'll update if rattling increases or decreases.
http://www.****************************************.com/ShowItem/208403%20Porsche+Boxster%2c+996+Strut+Brace%2c+Bar +Schnell.aspx
[IMG]http://www.****************************************.com/SQLCart/Images/Large/208403.jpg[/IMG]
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
bmussatti

Quote:

Blink, many people report that the brace helps to eliminate rattles. I got mine from www.********************************************************************.com
Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Come on,more then 2 people have them installed on their cars.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Come on,more then 2 people have them installed on their cars.
I have the Schnell from Vertex and love them. Very easy install as well. I don't think that there has ever been a problem with the front and the battery.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
im thinking about getting the front one as well. can you guys really notice the difference?
on my old car i really noticed difference, so id just like to get some feedback before i get one.
thx
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #7

Cool Installed front brace

I installed the front brace only at this point. Front end seems more stiff and the whole front goes bang rather than just the wheel involved when hitting a bump. I bought mine from Vertex, a site sponsor, for $139. It is a Schnell. I have seen braces for a lot more money but don't see where they are worth more or more efficent then the one I installed. I have not yet decided to do the back one just yet. I have been toying with the idea of saving up for the row30 setup as by all reports ( a good one over on the renntech list) raving about the transformation of the handling. The handling is better than any car I have owned and I can't imagine the improvement would be what others have stated but they all seem to RAVE about the difference. I had a strut brace on the front of my '83 911SC and it helped tighten up that front end too. I have no way of measureing if there was a difference in handling but it seemed a lot tighter. I have an aquaintance that likes to drive Ducati death traps at speed and installed the front strut brace when he bought a Carrera and claims it makes a dramatic difference on that car. These Boxcars shine in the handling dept. and the ability to sustain speed through corners, not winning drag races, is what it is all about and anything that would add to that ability would be a good investment if you enjoy "Spirited Motoring". Good tires being another consideration.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #8

thx man, well track/autoX is all i care about.
my car rattles liek hell, so i cant see how it will get worse LOL

Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #9

Off topic

Just as an aside, I kinda wish we had the ability to sort of wargame/playstation with posted messages as I would be delighted to bring some serious 20mm heat on DJs bloody dancing banana. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

AKL :troll:
Old 05-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Just as an aside, I kinda wish we had the ability to sort of wargame/playstation with posted messages as I would be delighted to bring some serious 20mm heat on DJs bloody dancing banana. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

AKL :troll:
man, you know that banane would dodge bullets like no other...matrix style (slow motion leaning )

Old 05-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #11

Vertex is having a sale on eBay. Front and rear for about $250.
szentej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
Porscheectomy

I've never seen them cheaper than on ebay.

I've got both the front and rear top strut bars. I have to say, on my Rx-7, there was an immediate difference in the responsiveness of the steering. On the Boxster, I really couldn't tell any difference, the car's quite stiff already.

Does it make a difference? Yes, adding bracing will ALWAYS add stiffness, can you always tell the difference or is it always significant, no.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #13

how is the schnell one diff fro this one?
$70 is a steal, and form what i can see they are all the same, from 70 for 300something ones....hmmm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/996-986-BOXSTER-RACING-STRUT-TOWER-BAR-RACING-STYLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33591QQihZ008QQit emZ180116807179QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
$70 is a steal, and form what i can see they are all the same, from 70 for 300something ones....hmmm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/996-986-BOXSTER-RACING-STRUT-TOWER-BAR-RACING-STYLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33591QQihZ008QQit emZ180116807179QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
If the materials and the fit are the same, it'll do just as good of a job.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:13 AM   #15

Brace on ebay looks as good as any and should do the job as stated. I do not see the rear configuration, only the front and I understand they have different ends that attach to the strut tower. Let us know if you get a set and how the quality comes across. I would be willing to spring for a rear set at that price for sure.

Now about that dancing nanner.................

AKL
Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #16

Hi,

What you feel will be dictated to a large degree in how experienced you are and the degree of your expectations. Many Chassis/Suspension tweaks are like that, subtle, small in scope, but real improvements nonetheless.

I first did the Front Brace (Racing Dynamics) and noticed an immediate difference. Not a whole different car, but tighter, more sure and the tiny bit of cowl shake the Boxster does have, gone.

I didn't think a Rear Brace would make much difference with the Roll Bar and all, but as I looked at the structure, I realized that it didn't do a thing to prevent Strut Tower movement under hard maneuvering. Still, I decided that any benefit would probably not be worth the cost of the Brace - $150-$200.

Then, Mid-America Motorworks had a sale dropping their Rear Brace from $250 to $175 and I took the plunge. When I installed it, it was apparent how much movement between the Strut Towers there actually was. The Car totally settled down and seemed much more of a unit than a separate pair of axles.

But, again, as I mentioned, you need to be able to detect the change and have a proper expectation. It won't turn a Boxster into a Lotus, but it is definitely a significant improvement. I have worked on Track Car suspensions for many years and realize that improvements are generally very limited, or often limited to a specific set of circumstances and not always felt across the entire driving dynamic. But, the suspension is much more deliberate and predictable with the Braces, if only slightly so. If the OEM setup felt right, with the Strut Towers now fixed, it feels more right.

While I haven't actually tested this, I suspect limiting the range of Camber change the Braces achieve, you will probably add a couple thousand miles to your Tire life as well (though there are so many variables here that all may not experience this) - not Earth shattering, but still an improvement.

I recommend adding both Braces and am also intrigued by the Lower Brace which Insite is currently reporting on. Not necessarily enough to commit to one (mostly because of what my car is used for, and unsure if it will fit on a Tip S car). And, I see this Lower Brace not as a substitute for the Upper Brace, but as a probable compliment to it. This is because each one reduces unwanted movement in it's specific area, but won't do a thing to eliminate movement on the opposite end of the Strut. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-17-2007 at 06:48 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #17
fab

Is installing the front brace easy? Any DIY/pics on installation process?
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #18
fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
Is installing the front brace easy? Any DIY/pics on installation process?
Never mind i saw another thread started with the info
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #19

Jim, thx for the post.
btw, what did you mean by this exactly

" first did the Front Brace (Racing Dynamics) and noticed an immediate difference. Not a whole different car, but tighter, more sure and the tiny bit of cowl shake the Boxster does have, gone.
"

what cowl shake are you referring to?

btw,, im just interested in track/autoX purpose for this, so i think ill be getting the front one for sure, and rear one im still yet to decide (although if money was no issue i would be doing wayyy more than just the braces, obviously )

but, even all stock, i get better times around the autoX than a lot of cars, so i respect this car very much, as stock as it is, and we can all agree on that

Old 05-19-2007, 06:28 AM   #20

Rear bar unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas

DJ and all, I contacted the seller and they do not have a rear strut brace, only the front.

AKL