Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #1

Question Extended warranty coverage on rear main seal

Hi Folks,

I discovered last week that the rear main seal and trans-axle seal of my 2001 Boxster are leaking oil (with only 36K miles!). Since I have extended warranty coverage with Warrantech, I decided to take the car for repairs at the Porsche dealer (Valley Motors in MD). The dealer stated that the repairs require 13 hrs of labor ( at a rate of $116/hr) and that they will provide a warranty of two years (if the new (Cayenne) seals start leaking again, they will replace them - no questions ask).

However, when the dealer contacted Warrantech, the insurance company said they will only cover 6.8 hrs of labor, given the "National labor rate" numbers. After some discussions with Warrantech, the insurance Co said that if the dealer provides some documentation stating/proving why 13 hrs are required to perform the job, they will review it and potentially approve the 13 hr job repairs.

I am currently waiting for Warrentech to approve the dealer labor estimates, but I was wondering if any of you guys had a similar experience and if you can provide some feedback regarding this situation.

Thanks very much in advance!

Cheers,

Humberto-

Triple Black '01 Boxster (36 K)
Red '86 944 NA - PCA Track Car

Last edited by calvani; 05-15-2007 at 07:46 AM.
calvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #2

[QUOTE=calvani]Hi Folks,
After some discussions with Warrantech, the insurance Co said that if the dealer provides some documentation stating/proving why 13 hrs are required to perform the job, they will review it and potentially approve the 13 hr job repairs.

Apparently Warrantech does not realize how much is involved in this type of repair. It requires dropping the complete trany and can't be done in just a 1 day in and out type of service. I think you will be okay if your dealership well documents the labor/hours involved in the service. Expect them to have your car for a few days. 2-3 depending on how many mechanics are working on it at once. I'm haveing mine replaced along with the clutch. Requires the same time and proceedure so I figure why not replace the clutch while they it out and exposed. My car has 55k on it so it will need it anyway.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #3

My 2003 is going in tomorrow for RMS repair...

and I am curious, what is the cost of the clutch parts from a P dealer? I am sitting at 51k.
Warren

If I had read down a little farther I would have seen retail cost $521.00.

Last edited by wpruitt; 05-15-2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: adding info
wpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #4

Smile

Actually, a good tech can have the motor/trans unit out in 2 to 3 hrs. One day total repair is possible but what dealer would admit that?

6 hrs is not real either IMHO.

Let us know how this turns out.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #5

Will do. Thanks for your comments.

Humberto-
calvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpruitt
and I am curious, what is the cost of the clutch parts from a P dealer? I am sitting at 51k.
Warren

If I had read down a little farther I would have seen retail cost $521.00.
Suncoast sells the 2.7 L complete clutch kit for $377.00. 2.5L is $350.00.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote