Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #1

MAF removal - quick question

What tool do you need to remove the screws for the MAF sensor? It looks like a torx bit but there is a "dimple" in the middle of screw...so the torx bit won't fit. Is there a special tool required? If so where can I get it? Thanks!

porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedude
What tool do you need to remove the screws for the MAF sensor? It looks like a torx bit but there is a "dimple" in the middle of screw...so the torx bit won't fit. Is there a special tool required? If so where can I get it? Thanks!
It's called a TORX safety bit. Most hardware stores will handle them. I know Sears in particular sells a nice set of unusual bits for about $20 with a driver.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #3

It is a T20 torx anti tamper.

Where I live I can find just the one bit you need for about $2 at ACE hardware and OSH (don't think OSH is in your area). Never seen it a Home Depot or Lowes.

I have 2 sets of these bits. First was from Frys electronics and the second from AutoZone. AutoZone was about $10 for a set of bits
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the help. I will get a set soon. Now I recall I have seen those torx safety bits in the stores.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #5

Bought my set at Sears

Not cheap (~$25) but lots cheaper than having the dealer do the work. www.harbourfreight.com has a $6 set.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #6

I found a set at PepBoys for about $6, IIRC. It did not have a driver, tho... I still need to pick one up.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #7

Cool definetly worht the $20.00

I made the mistake of not wanting to spend the time and go out and get the tamper/torx. Bad idea, I rounded the inset buy using a combination of wrong tools. Lesson learned- first the screw rounded quite easily, second, once rounded it was ---ch to get out!

Frank Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote