Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #1

adding oil?

It looks like I am low on oil and have to add some in the 987. I just calledf the dealer to verify which kind they use and some guy said castro synthetic. I always seem to read mobil 1 on this board. Is it okay to mix brands? My actual oil change is due in about 3500 miles.....

any advice?

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
bmussatti

Super66, use only Mobil 1 0W40. When you lift the rear trunk lid, you will see a silver Mobil 1 sticker on the underside of the trunk lid.

If you are in Arlington Heights tomorrow, send me a PM, and I'll top off your oil for free!
Old 05-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
bmussatti

Super, how many "bars" are you low? For every bar, you need approx 1 cup of oil. Our digital oil gage is very-very accurate. At lest this has been my experience.

FYI- I did 1,900 hard miles (lot of 4,000-6,000 RPM's) last week for the TOD trip, and I did not use a smidge of oil. I am running 5W40 Red Line oil at the present time.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #4

USA Castrol Syntec is junk.

M1 or Red Line in my book.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
It looks like I am low on oil and have to add some in the 987. I just calledf the dealer to verify which kind they use and some guy said castro synthetic. I always seem to read mobil 1 on this board. Is it okay to mix brands? My actual oil change is due in about 3500 miles.....

any advice?
That's scary. You'd think they would push what Porsche recammends...M1 0w40. I hope you spoke to a sales rep or front desk clerk and not a tech/mechanic because the person on the other end is not giving you the right advice. Does Castrol even make 0w40 oil?

Last edited by Adam; 05-12-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #6

thanks for the offer b! unfortunately I have some mothers day stuff today....I'm gonna go put it in....I am below the low point but its not flashing at me yet where its dangerous...I'm just glad I noticed it.....

I picked up the mobil and its in a silver bottle...

adam - the frickin service manager didn't call me back yesterday and I called him 3 times yesterday.....they sent me to the oil area for the dealer and they said bring it in and I'll put in the castro....so that put up a flag....

I really haven't had a good experience with that dealer yet...its the one that did your PSE b....

oh well.....

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote