Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #1

stereo upgrade??

I've got an '02 with the CDR-220 and four speakers... which
basically sounds like crap. I'm looking to upgrade the sound
without spending a ton of $ and without changing the stock
look. (I don't need thumping base, but nice crisp sound...)

advice?????

Rick Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #2

Trying replacing the speakers...I think there is a built amp but it is highly recommended that you add an aftermarket amp to get more power. This should deliver better sound quality.
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #3

You might also try a set of rear speakers. Here's an article showing the installation procedure: http://www.pelicanparts.com//techarticles/box_rear_speakers/box_rear_speakers.htm

The PNP kit is the one I used. You can find it on eBay by searching for Boxster Rear Speakers.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #4

Steps, in my recommended priority order, cost, benefit, time to do:

-replace dash speakers w/ good coaxials, $80, add clarity, 2-3 hrs
-replace doors w/ baffle and 6.5" good woofers (or coaxials - but will only still get lows due to crossover built in to amp), $100, add better mid to low end power & clarity, 3 hrs
-add rear speakers, $250, move sound stage out from behind windshield to middle of car where ears are, 2-3hrs
All of these will keep stock appearance.

The #1 problem w/ Boxster sound system is clarity. The cheap paper cone OEM speakers do not give it to you. Most people will fire off right away and say get a new amp. If you do that w/out replacing the drivers, all you get is louder crappy sound. All can be done DIY with low/med mechanical/electronic skills. Just takes some patience and is well worth the effort. If you're not happy w/ the sound afterwards, then upgrade to a more powerful amp (obviously requires some foresight in picking speakers out. But know the OEM is 40W per channel which is pretty powerful - 60W would be more than enough if you aren't looking for bass thumping car alarm setting off sound)

Here are 2 guides to help you:

Upgrading the Boxsters Sound System Overall Guide

Baffle Template for Door Speakers

Good luck!

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 05-12-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:15 AM   #5

I should add that new dash speakers are on my list too. I just need to understand exactly how to mount them and I haven't had any time to research the issue. I'm sure there is plenty of information on this and other forums. From what I've read so far, it is not "plug and play", but it does look fairly simple.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #6

I still need to get into my dash speakers and see what's in there. I know the PO had a woofer (in the pass. footwell) and an aftermarket amp, but removed them. I'm thinkin maybe he/she replaced the dash/door speakers...

If they have not been replaced... I think I'll slowly start with replacing the dash and door speakers...

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #7

Its really unfortunate that the factory audio is so poor, but just swapping speakers will do a ton to improve sound. The factory amp isnt horrible, but despite being rated at 40 watts, those are some weak watts (I'm suggesting that the rating is a bit over-rated). However, changing amps does require some wiring. If you want bass in these cars, you have to do some kind of sub install. See the related post regarding this, and I will have a new post up later today or tomorrow with purchase info for a fully fiberglassed custom enclosure for 986 and 996 cars which includes a JL Audio 8W0 driver.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to BoxsterBreacher
Dont get too crazy!

Just pulled the CDR-220 out and put in a Pioneer Avic-N1 (6.5" flip out screen with Nav). I had the upgraded factory system which was ok, but the aftermarket head unit makes a huge difference. Everything is crisper, frequency response is much better, and I have all the base you could want in this small of a car with out even cranking up the EQ (the surround sound is great while watching a movie and driving way too fast!). By the way not even using the amp anymore. Most high end decks will push a true 40w x 4.
If you really want to upgrade try a new deck first, much cheaper and safer than getting crazy with custom work on the door panels. If that still isnt enough for you shoot me a PM and I will sell you my factory amp to juice it up some more.
But if you are still running around with just the dash speakers then you are in dire need of an upgrade and it isnt going to be cheap.
My opinion, shoot me a PM if you want to know more about my set up.
BoxsterBreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #9

any pictures? that would be great...

waynes986 is offline   Reply With Quote