Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #1

CDR220 - rear socket connections

My rear speakers have not worked since I bought the car (02 Box) last year. Finally had a chance to pull out the radio to check the rear connections. Can someone with rear speakers please verify that the black connector (see pic attached) is in the right place at the lower socket? I tend to think the black connector should be in the middle socket for the factory rear speakers to work. Can someone please verify before I blow up anything? Everything else for the rear speakers is plugged in, even at the conv top connector. Thanks again!!

porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #2

I presume you have the CR or CDR 220? If so, here is the pin out from the manual on the back of the unit. Your black plug is in the right spot though as the rear speaker plug will only have 4 wires - 1 + and - for each channel as the doors and and dash, w/ the M490 or M680 package are driven by amp in trunk. Plus, IIRC, the rear speaker plug was brown.

If you have a different radio, you can download the correct manual from Becker using this link
http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/Porsche%20Menu.html

Do you have a 6x40 amp? If so, they will be connected to it in the front trunk. Look at the bigger plug in the amp in the front trunk. If pins 5/15 and 6/16 are full, then they (rears) are plugged into the amp. So, maybe the connector plug is undone. Look for a brown plug about 6" above the gas pedal. Sorry to not have pictures to help, but I'm out of town and can only pull so much info for you.

Good luck.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #3

Based on the pic, isn't the black plug in socket A? Socket B is where the rear spkr pins are.

Also a simple question - have you checked the fader setting on the radio to see if the rears are active?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #4

Ok, I fixed it. Apparently, the brown plug for the rear speakers came loose. Yes, it is for a CDR 220. I adjusted the Fader etc but I knew it was a loose or unplugged wire...I just hadn't had time to find it until yesterday. If you see my pic in the first post, you will notice that the center socket is empty and there's where the brown plug goes in. FYI when you pull the radio out with the radio tool, the wire for the brown plug is very short and you can barely have the radio out without putting extreme tension on the brown plug wire. I think somebody pulled the radio out and there's how the brown plug came loose.

Stereo sounds a lot better with rear factory speakers although I would rate the rear factory speakers as average (not like Bose or anything) but I am still pretty happ. Thanks again for all your help!!
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #5

Hi,

Not to be picky, but that's a copyrighted pic and should not be displayed here - against the Forum rules.

I depend on copyright integrity for a good portion of my livelyhood and so may be more conscious of it than most...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #6

Jim,

Not to be picky, but I recall you posting pages out of the porsche radio manual..it's on this site..did you get permission for that?
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
Jim,

Not to be picky, but I recall you posting pages out of the porsche radio manual..it's on this site..did you get permission for that?
Hi,

I do not recall that. But, if I did, it was a pic for which general use permission was given. I'm very careful about that which is why I ask people to PM me, what may be OK between two individuals with no commercial interest is not ok for a commercial site, which this certainly is...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote