Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
tc1
Forum Member

Airbags

I've just bought an '01 Boxster and I am picking it up next week. I've got 5yr old and a 3yr old daughters, is it possible to disable the passenger side airbags? And, if so, how? They'd be very disappointed otherwise. Thanks

tc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #2

There is a way, but it requires the porsche car seat. Under the passenger seat, you can get a air bag disable device that looks like a bracket with a car seatbelt latch. Then you have to buy the porsche car seat to disable the air bag.

At least I think thats how it works since I don't have any kids

Good luck
Old 06-10-2004, 06:21 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I've been wondering about that too. I myself do not have children, but my boyfriend has a son who is now 5. If I get a Boxster it won't be for a couple of years probably, but I don't know that I really could get one at all if his son can't ever ride in it. Maybe, maybe not, but it would be more of a deciding factor if he could ride in it. In FL you have to be 12 to ride in the front with an airbag but he'd be too big for a car seat. My parents used to put me in a basket in the back of an MG, but that was way back in 1972!
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:07 AM   #4

Hehe, my father used to own a Fiat x-19. A little 2 seater and we had a famliy of 4. I used to sit on the console.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #5

Jonny,

When my cousin and I took my X1/9 to Mexico (78?) lots of folks asked for rides. We had 3 guys ask for a ride at one gas station- They said they'd be happy riding behind the rollbar. They mostly asked for rides when we were driving North.

Love Bunny - 3 people don't legally fit in a Boxster. His age/size is probably not the issue.

My X1/9 was the second most favorite car I have owned.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 04:34 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
No, I didn't mean to fit 3 people in a boxster. I just meant would I be able to ride him in the car at all before he's 12? I believe in FL a child under 12 is not supposed to be in the front seat at all but I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the airbag so he could perhaps.

As far as 3 people, I used to have a Miata and rode with me driving and my brother who is 5'11" in the passenger seat and his friend who is over 6 feet in the middle with the top up and his head stretched back between the seats. That's the one thing that makes me wonder if I really want a Boxster, but then again, I rarely ride with more than myself in my car and my boyfriend has a sedan.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote