Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #1

CD Changer problem - It wont read the CD

Hello forum My second post here...

I bought my boxster yesterday and the guy who sold it to me said the cd changer was a bit tricky.

Does anyone have experience with fixing this, are there things you can clean or do to make it work better ?

Currently when I insert CD's it searches through all 6 cd's but it doesnt start playing and after 5 minutes it says NO CD.

Any suggestions ?

Kind regards
Morten

williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:34 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Try flipping the CD over. You might have it upside-down.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #3

Hi,

It's one of three things. As stated, unlike most CD Cartridges, the Porsche one requires that you insert the CDs upside down (labels down).

Next, either the Faceplate on the Head Unit is not lined up correctly, or the contacts on both the Faceplate and the Head Unit are corroded or dirty, or both. To correct this, remove the Face Plate (instructions in the Radio Manual - part of the Owners Manual Pkg.). Taking a Q-tip dipped in Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) clean all the contacts and insert the Faceplate correctly.

Do this, and I suspect your finnicky CD player will be unfinnickyized. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #4

I bought my boxster 'used' so the manual is in German, but I still see no pictures of how to disassemble the cd changer and clean it.

I can't even figure out how to release the cd changer from the metal mounting, is that nessesary to clean it - is the faceplate the top of the cd-changer with the opening mechanism ?

I know this is basic stuff but, all very new to me

I appreciate any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

It's one of three things. As stated, unlike most CD Cartridges, the Porsche one requires that you insert the CDs upside down (labels down).

Next, either the Faceplate on the Head Unit is not lined up correctly, or the contacts on both the Faceplate and the Head Unit are corroded or dirty, or both. To correct this, remove the Face Plate (instructions in the Radio Manual - part of the Owners Manual Pkg.). Taking a Q-tip dipped in Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) clean all the contacts and insert the Faceplate correctly.

Do this, and I suspect your finnicky CD player will be unfinnickyized. Good Luck!...

williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsF1
I bought my boxster 'used' so the manual is in German, but I still see no pictures of how to disassemble the cd changer and clean it.

I can't even figure out how to release the cd changer from the metal mounting, is that nessesary to clean it - is the faceplate the top of the cd-changer with the opening mechanism ?

I appreciate any help!
Hi,

Yes it's necessary - this is your problem. The Faceplate also contains a microprocessor which controls all the functions. It communicastes with the rest of the components through the contacts along it's edge. If it's misaligned, or the contacts are dirty, it can't function properly.

Go here: http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/99_01_carrera_cr220_cassette_4362.html and you can download a Manual in English (or French) in .pdf format. Hope this helps...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsF1

I appreciate any help!
Mine did this once. I bought a CD PLAYER cleaner. You can find these at most electronic and audio stores. No need to take apart the CD changer. The CD cleaner has little small brushes on it and will clean the lense for you as it runs throught the testing proceedures. After I ran this on mine it fixed the problem and NEVER came back. Although you could have them inserted in the wrong direction in the CD changer also. Make sure they are facing the correct direction in order to play. I also bumped mine one day while cleaning the front trunk. It caused the same problem. These CD changers that are O.E.M. can be very sensitive. I made sure all of the wires were in the same place behind the changer and ejected the cartridge. Then pressed the reset button on the head unit. This fixed the problem. Hope this helps. My bet is on the CD PLAYER cleaner. Good device to have for DVD players too.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote