Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #1

997 19" wheels to 986?

does anyone know if the 997 19inch 5 star wheel fit a 1998 986 boxster? is so does anyone have pictures?

thanks for your help.

best,

jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #2

jrdiesel01,

You may want to do some research about putting 19" wheels on a 98 Boxster.

I have read that the 19s place too much stress on the car's suspension and can cause damage. Potential weld cracks.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #3

No offense...
Put the 18, 19...whatever wheels on your car if you think it looks good and your car feels how you want it to. I've heard this story about stress on the chassis/hubs w/the increased wheel weight, but come on...its been TEN YEARS since these cars came out and (me personally) have not heard anything bad happening. ESPECIALLY if your not tryin' race the car. If your like me and just want to take it out for the weekend, drive and occasionally get on it in a straight line...come on...i don't think anything is gonna come of this. Put your 19" wheels on your car. Ya may have some extra squeaks over time, but unless your trying to roadrace it (even then probably nothing) your not gonna have any problems. Maybe if you just drive the absolute piss out of the car (and then i'd worry about the engine first in a '98) i may see the problem then maybe. Just my .02
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
only problem was the 97 boxsters, everything else is fine.
and by putting 19s it doesnt look like you are looking for best performance on the track, but just looks... <- i think
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #5

Hi,

While you may not rip the back end off the car, running 19's can cause some premature wear to bearings, bushings and the like. Also, ride quality is compromised.

The 19's have the same diameter (when fitted with Tires) as the 18's do because of their lower profile Tires. IMHO, they're less attractive - the car ends up looking all wheels with 19's on

Not trying to dissuade you, just pointing out a few things. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #6

I think the wheels you're referring to are Carrera Classics, which are available in 19" replicas from Wheel Dynamics. Personally, had I not just purchased wheels for my car last year, I would buy a set in a heartbeat. If you call Carlos at Wheel Dynamics, or send him an email, he'll answer all of your fitment questions. He only does Porsches and he's very knowledgeable about what fits, etc.

As to the issue of 19s on a MY 97-98, I read quite a bit before making the decision to go with 19s. Porsche did make improvements to strengthen the rear suspension on the later cars, but I satisfied myself that I am safe driving the car on 19" wheels. The only time the rear suspension issue should surface would be if you drove the piss out of the car on the track. I don't plan to do so. There's a lengthy discussion of the issue on Rennlist. You may want to check it out. You'll have to decide for yourself how you plan to use the car. I've been driving mine on 19s for a year with no ill effects.

The bearing/bushing argument may hold water, but as I see it, they're maintenance items anyway, and inexpensive ones at that. Certainly, a few dollars for bearings wouldn't dissuade me from running the wheels and tires I want.

As for the look of 19s vs 18s vs 17s, it's a matter of personal choice. I like the look of the 19s. I think it's more contemporary and helps to update the older cars. I'll throw a picture of mine at the end of the post. You'll have to decide for yourself if it looks like too much rim or not. Personally, I think the look is even better if the car is lowered a bit, which mine is not. I can't get a permission slip from the missus.

I should also mention that I stepped up from 18s to 19s and didn't notice a decrease in ride quality at all. I've read that the car handles best on 18s, and that the handling starts to degrade on 19s, but I haven't experienced that either. I pushed the car very hard just last weekend, and it handled flawlessly.

Good luck in your choice.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
grizz, ur car looks sweet man, i love those wheels (this is coming from the most anti-chrome, anti-shiny anything person).
carrer classics just look too plain and too stock if u ask me
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
grizz, ur car looks sweet man, i love those wheels (this is coming from the most anti-chrome, anti-shiny anything person).
carrer classics just look too plain and too stock if u ask me
They look bright but they're not chrome, or even polished. They're powdercoated silver. They do have a polished lip, but it's small.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote