Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #1

Drove a Z8 today

I have a cousin who is a doctor/developer and he recently sold one of his projects.A As a reward he sold his Carrera (which was the first Porsche I ever sat in) and bought a Z8. Apparently he has been coveting this thing for some time and fondleing the seller in hopes of one day buying it. He recently acquired it and I got to drive it. I wasn't able to take it on too many turns during my drive. I did however scream it onto the freeway via one of those cloverleaf on-ramps and it stuck very well. It was very, very quick and really pushed you into the seats. The six speed manual had a little bit more throw than I would have expected however it was very smooth. The offset instrument panel was a little different and would take some time to get used to. The exhaust note was not unnoticeable until you reached about 3000 RPM and even then it was very subtle. The car overall was very subdued in every way until you hit the accelerator. The drive with the top down was comparable to the Boxster except the Z8 had no windscreen between roll bars. Overall a nice car but it looks a little too much like a Z4, except longer, and with a V8. I'm not sure it was worth a $100k but to each his own.

SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #2

HI,

I've driven one, an Alpina, and thought it was a tremendous car. It will truly be a classic. Tell your cousing to throw a Blanket over it and it'll fetch $1M in 10 or so years...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #3

One of my favorite cars! I think there was a Z8 post here before some time ago.
It is a BMW thing... this is the one to have!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #4

It's a beautiful car
Old 05-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #5

The dealer where I bought my Boxster had one for sale! It was the first one I had ever seen other than magazines...and oh yeah the 007 movie!