Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #1

Spark plug gap

I plan on tackling some of 30k service this weekend, including the plugs. I am going to pick up a set of OEM plugs from NAPA. Would it be prudent to check the gapping on these? I understand they come pre-gapped, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. What is the gapping for OEM plugs for a 2001 2.7 base? I searched both here and renntech but came up empty handed. Thanks.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #2

Exclamation Gap check important

Even with best of shipping protection, boxes are often not handled with the best care, and gaps could be changed. I would also make sure you got the correct heat range plugs as there was a recommended change from Porsche. 6-7.
Frank Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #3

I got the Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs from NAPA. Order #4417 and stock number (?) of 0 242 235 626-05P. I do not see a heat rating on them or the box. Are these ok? And I haven't changed spark plugs since my '87 Fiero GT, but at the end of your post, the 6-7 is the heat range, not the gap, right?
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #4

Smile smarter folks then me helped out

If you are going to change your plugs, as I just did, go to my post(in technical section) of 04/20/2007; where I asked for help on this very subject.
I got great advice as you will see. If you have not done this before on the Boxster, I would encourage you to go through the posts as there are a number of good ideas that will make your tasks easier.
Frank Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #5

Check out this site for maintenance

http://www.theschillings.com/boxplugs.htm

stephendoherty62 is offline   Reply With Quote