Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 AM   #1

K&N Filter-stock?

As part of my 30K service, there is a notation that they washed and reoiled my K&N filter. Is this a stock air filter? I am the second owner of my 2002. Thanks.

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
nope, not stock.
and most people will say that it can harm your MAF, although i dont know the truth in that, but just do a quick search and ull get a lot of info.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:23 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Wow, thats interesting that they would service the air filter for you. K&N's are usually fround upon cause of what DJ said. Interesting indeed becasue taht means they stock a K&N Oil Recharge kit or atleast a mechanic has it in his tool box.

I have the K&N filter but w/o oil to eliminate the filter oil from supposibly damaging the MAF.

DJ: nice photoshp on your rims... did you use MS paint-shop for that?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #4

so then, what is the benefit if any of having this type of filter? I will do a search. thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #5

I see that there is plenty of info in the search...thanks anyhow.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #6

Well, they are for HP, but i guess the porsche design of an intake and filter is so good you dont see any difference in HP when changing to K&N but you will notice that you dont have to press the accelerator as hard accelerating from a stand-still... Thats what i noticed anyway.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 05-01-2007, 06:36 AM   #7

CJ,
you are sopposed to oil that filter

"The Importance of Oil
A K&N Air Filter is made of 4 to 6 layers of cotton gauze sandwiched between two epoxy-coated aluminum wire screens. The cotton is treated with a specially formulated grade of oil causing tackiness throughout the cotton’s microscopic strands. The nature of the cotton allows high volumes of airflow, and when combined with the tackiness of the oil creates a powerful filtering media that ensures engine protection. In contrast, most other media can not maintain the same balance of airflow and filtration throughout the filter's life without sacrificing one or the other"

Old 05-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
CJ,

"The Importance of Oil
A K&N Air Filter is made of 4 to 6 layers of cotton gauze sandwiched between two epoxy-coated aluminum wire screens. The cotton is treated with a specially formulated grade of oil causing tackiness throughout the cotton’s microscopic strands. The nature of the cotton allows high volumes of airflow, and when combined with the tackiness of the oil creates a powerful filtering media that ensures engine protection. In contrast, most other media can not maintain the same balance of airflow and filtration throughout the filter's life without sacrificing one or the other"

Its a trade off as i see it. Oil and new MAF every 6 months or no Oil and keep my MAF for atleast 4 years but run the same risk as using any non-oiled performance air-filter.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
CJ,

"The Importance of Oil
Hi,

That's straight from the K&N Marketing Book! There is no special Oil, it's just straight 20W, used for years in Carburettor Damping Systems.

Cotton Gauze Filters are nothing new. They were developed for Racing where Airflow takes precedence over Protection. They don't filter as well, but consequently, they flow more air.

Ironically, a standard Paper Filter actually filters better the longer it's in service, but also becomes more restrictive.

With a K&N, small droplets of Oil will come off the cotton and settle on the Hot Film of the MAF causing it to send incorrect signals to the DME which in turn selects the wrong Maps for Fuel and Timing.

Also, in ISO 5011 tests against Paper Filters, the K&N clogged in 1/3 the time, meaning that at this point, it was actually more restrictive than, and consequently underperforming a standard Paper Filter. In proper Lab Testing, these Filters just don't live up to their claims.

K&N is all about Marketing. They first introduced it into the Racing World and quickly saturated that market. Then, they went to the Consumer, but not touting Performance merits, rather they marketed it for Longevity - the Million Mile Filter (so long as you clean and Oil it every 25k mi.). Once that segment was saturated, only then did K&N market it for increases in Performance on a Street Car. But, many of their claims are unsubstantiated, and they never mention any of the detriments to using one.

The choice is simple - slight performance gain vs. Engine Protection. The K&N lets in more air, but also more dirt. This has two problems: First is the dirt itself. About 1/3 of the particulates are very hard Silicates - think Sand (scoop up a handful of dirt from the shoulder on a Road or Expressway and carefully look at it - it's mostly Sand and this is what you're allowing into your Engine). These are very abrasive inside an Engine. The second is that only a portion of these are expelled through the Exhaust, the rest are trapped by the Motor Oil and reduce the Oil's Service Life, but also are continually circulated through the Engine, especially the Bearings. If choosing a K&N, the Oil Service Interval needs to be shortened significantly, and this all but negates any cost savings by reusing the Air Filter.

For me, the tradeoff of slightly more Performance isn't worth the risk of shortened Engine Life to use the K&N on a Street Car. I have used them on some of my Race Cars, but these usually have an Engine Rebuild annually, so it doesn't matter...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-01-2007 at 11:45 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #10

Jim,
so what would you suggest for the EVO intake? get rid of the k&n cone filter and get a paper cone filter?

Old 05-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Jim,
so what would you suggest for the EVO intake? get rid of the k&n cone filter and get a paper cone filter?
Hi,

Yea, if it were me, I would...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #12

Has anyone thought of using a Foam filter like the HKS filters?

I've used those in the past on my TwinTurbos and my GS-T with better results compaired to my very large K&N filter on the same vehicles as far as ease of acceleration.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 06-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #13

I have K & N air filters installed on 15 of my limos, hummers, escalades, naviagators, lincolns, etc.

I put them there for the extra fuel economy (about 5%) which really adds up for limos driving sometimes 50k miles a year.

I also have had K & N air intakes on my previous 911 , and several of my cars.

All in all almost 10 years worth of using K & N's on different cars.

Never one probablem. Not one. The few added horsepower is as cheap of a mod you can get besides the $0 desnorkle which was dyno proven on this forum for 5-6 hp.

I have seen dyno tests on cars with the full K&N air intake system that adds over 20 horsepower.

I'm sure there are many members here that have K&N's on there boxster and have never had a problem. Sure don't over oil it when you clean them once a year, but overall its a very positive experience from me.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 AM   #14

whati s MAF standing for ?
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #15

The Mass Air Flow sensor.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #16

Running a K&N filter WITHOUT oil would probably be MORE harmful than with it. The filter is basically an oiled gauze type filter, meaning it's more open than paper type filters, but uses the oil as a way to trap particles.

The whole 'K&N Filters will muff up your MAF' is mostly conjecture. I ran one in my previous car that had a MAF, and never had problems.

You DO need to be careful when cleaning and reoiling so as not to get TOO much oil on the filter.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 AM   #17

weird since my porsche dealer sells the k&n filter at the parts department...i actually bought one but have been scared to put it in since all i've read on the forums..

mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote