Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #1

Advice on Selling a 2000 Boxster

I have a 2000 Silver/Black Boxster with 39,600 miles. The car is very clean, I installed Factory cupholders and Aluminum gauges, new brakes, tire and K&N filter. I have not had the 30,000 mile service done. I am selling it $21,000. I am also throwing in a 3 year transferable warranty. Do you think I should get the price? Should I do the PPI to make up for the 30000 service? Any guidance would be helpful.

stephendoherty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #2

986forum.com classifieds<---------
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
The first thing I'd do is get the 30K service done. One of the first questions you will get from potential buyers is 'why didn't you do the 30K at 30K?'.

Plus, the dealership will be spending hours working on your car and they will notice anything else that might be out of the ordinary.
dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #4

Definately needs the 30k service

I am in the market for a Boxster and have been looking for 4 months to find the right one and as a buyer, I would definately want to know that the 30k service was done when it was supposed to be or, if I was interested in yours, I too, would want it done first. Wouldn't really need the PPI then. The thing is though, you really won't be able to recoup that cost in the sale price because it's expected that it would have had it done.
icedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #5

No, I don't.

You have the K&N filter. Some may view that as bad.
You haven't followed the recommended maintenance schedule. Some may view that as bad.
You don't have any desirable options or an S. Some may view that as bad.

The PPI should be "controlled" by the potential buyer. Meaning they should pick the place, they should pay. You both should be debriefed on the results/findings.

I would have the 30k done just because the inspection will find anything the PPI would and give you a chance to have the PPI say "great car". The 30k is not a deal breaker to me provided nothing else comes up in the PPI.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #6

So much depends on the condition of the car and what comes with it. If you have all the manuals, the car was garage kept, passed the PPI with flying colors and has both keys, $21k would be in the right range in Central Virginia - perhaps a little high. The St. Louis market may vary however, so you might get more for the car.

I bought a very similar car last year for $21,250. It had 30k on it and had the 30k service completed. The PPI showed that it needed new rear tires.

I think a K&N filter might cause concern for some folks. They have a reputation for letting grit into the engine. I would remove it if I were you.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
The PPI should be "controlled" by the potential buyer. Meaning they should pick the place, they should pay. You both should be debriefed on the results/findings.
I disagree here. If the potential buyer pays for the inspection, that party is under no obligation to share the results with the seller and the shop shouldn't share it with the seller either without the permission of the person who paid for the inspection.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #8

Dude!

ITS GOOD TO SEE OTHER DOHERTY's DRIVING PORSCHES!!!

Where are you at....? St Louis!.... Whats weird, Is I was born there....
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:59 AM   #9

Cool

I appreciate the advice, I will have the 30,000 inspection done, Anybody know where in St louis to get the inspection done as I don't want to have my pants pulled down by a dealer.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:00 AM   #10

I am living in Kirkwood, but from the old country
Old 05-01-2007, 04:03 AM   #11

Is this true of the K&N Filter?

I was under the impression theat this was the best filter on the market. I have noticed that the car runs a hell of a lot better with it.